Default Wood Restoration

I have a couple of very old chairs. They could be Beech or Mahogany.
    They were left out in the weather and some of the wood has gone somewhat bleached and grey. I saw in the past somewhere that this condition can be restored back to normal wood by some chemical treatment or similar . I don't want to sand them back as it would remove too much material plus some of the bleached timber is carved and I want to keep this . Can anybody help me out with some information on this.
    I look foreward to to receiving any advice I can get.
    Regards "Phelpsie"
    PS I must be the oldest apprentice around I'm 70

Give them a coat of oxalic acid, it will remove the grey.

Oxalic acid looks like sugar crystals so get rid of the excess immediately so a kid doesn't think its sugar and eat it. Last time I got some I ordered it from a chemists shop.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Per what Bob said, you can get it from most paint shops also.

Rinse it off thoroughly.

Cheers...............Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    Give them a coat of oxalic acid, it will remove the grey.

Oxalic acid looks like sugar crystals so get rid of the excess immediately so a kid doesn't think its sugar and eat it. Last time I got some I ordered it from a chemists shop.
    Thanks for the advice on Oxalic acid. I have used this over the past 50 years or so to clean and bleach timber. What I am after is some chemical treatment that restores the timber back to its origional condition. I have seen it in the Aust Woodworker years ago and I have heard people talking about it but I dont know exactly what it is.

You need this.

Al

I may be wrong but I dont think anything will restore the original timber colour apart from sanding. You could get a general darkish/brownish colour by applying just about any finish, but it wont be the actual timber colour.

I have the opposite problem. I am trying to turn freshly dressed timber grey. Apart from leaving it out in the sun ( which works but takes several months minimum) I have been using dilute sulphate of iron with some sucess. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Rusty