Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Wax on Danish oil

I am looking at finishing a blue gum refectory table with Danish oil since it gives a hardish finish. Neil's finishiners handbook says for Tung oil you can use wax after setting. Does the same apply to Danish oil - I plan to use Traditional wax?
    Also, the can says two coats, I believe four or five coats would be better, am I right, especially for the ttable top which will get the most wear? Perhaps Neil could advise me after the required number of coats whether I just proceed as for his Satin Finish on a Polyurethane base:confused:
    winnie
    John Winslow

Traditional wax on Danish oil and there is nothing wrong with it. 4 coats of oil and 2 coats of wax sounds right to me too.

Blue gum is a tough wood so oil or poly are both OK I reckon. Wood finish does not make the timber any stronger but poly will deal with water, heat or scratches a little bit better.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

You should not have any problem with putting wax over danish oil. I have done several projects using this finish. Also, I have not found a need to put on more than two coats. The trick to getting a really smooth finish is to go well up the grades in sanding. I find that at least 600 is required to get the finish I like.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Wet sand the second coat of DO with 600 (or finer if you wish) W&D - my preference is 800 or 1000, then let it harden for a few days, the uBeaut and a swansdown mop.