Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: The widow maker

Default The widow maker

Today at work I used for the first time the router bit affectionately known as the widow maker. This is the biggest bit I have ever seen and thought some of you guys or gals might like to see it.

I have put it next to a pen in the table and then a 16mm radius bit on my bench.

So what do you think? Has anyone used or seen any bigger bits then this. It sounded like a helicopter when I turned the router on!!!

Andrew.IMG_0326[1].jpgIMG_0327[1].jpgIMG_0328[1].jpgIMG_0329[1].jpg

That's just a raised panel bit isn't it ? Yeah some of them do get pretty big and that's why spindle moulders were invented.
    You need something with a few HP to drive it in a good bench to cut down on vibration and chatter.
    A mate of mine uses one when he makes a few doors but he also removes as much stock from the door edge as possible in his table saw first.
    Don't try and remove too much stock with that bit in one go - the kickback would be nasty.

Stewie

I have used the CMT equivalent of this cutter on many occasions. The trick is to raise the panel in about 5 or 6 passes. The results when doing so is really good and also a lot safer. I also drop the speed of the router to about 8000rpm.
    Les

I have a little raised panel bit for my SM, only a 2" cut. I have a couple router bits that sized as well. 8K rpm and keep all body parts out of the firing line.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Thanks for the advise guys. And don't worry, I kept it well clear!!!

Keeping the cutter sharp and clean will also reduce the risk of injury.

Les

the art of a clean finish is not to try and remove all the wood at once... so the guys are right take it in passes and be safe.