Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Workshop tips show and tell.

We all have a few little things we do/make in our workshop that others might find useful. I would like to share a few with you and you are welcome to do the same. Remember it is the little thing we are after, not a full on jig.

Picture 1: A router holder. I have seen a better looking one than mine but my one only took 10 minutes to make.

Picture 2: Rubber floor mat. It costs me $200 from Clarke rubber but it is great. It minimises the damage to my good hand tools when I do drop them. I can leave my work on the floor without damaging the edges. It is easy on my knee when have have to kneel down and work on the floor.

Picture 3: stop block extension on a cross-cut sled

Picture 4: stop block on a cross-cut sled. I cut a 3mmX3mm rebate on all the edges. The rebate allows you to blow away the saw dust that normally gets trapped in the corner.

Picture 5. pencil sharpener. Don’t laugh. How many times has your cheap sharpener broken the pencil lead?
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Pencil sharpener

That takes all the fun outta slicing ya finger with a chisel

All right ...... top idea

My under-bench wood drawer on wheels.

It rolls so easy, holds a stack of odd-length tidbits up to 1.2 m in length and is in hands reach, when one hand is on the bench holding things together while you rumble in the wooddrawer looking for the right bit of timber.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...4&d=1180478930

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    How many times has your cheap sharpener broken the pencil lead?
    I always use a big fat nikko. It's way easier to see the line, and you can cut on it really easily too.

That's my tip.

P

We all have a few little things we do/make in our workshop that others might find useful. I would like to share a few with you and you are welcome to do the same. Remember it is the little thing we are after, not a full on jig.

Picture 1: A router holder. I have seen a better looking one than mine but my one only took 10 minutes to make.
    Who needs a router holder? What's a bench for?

Picture 2: Rubber floor mat. It costs me $200 from Clarke rubber but it is great. It minimises the damage to my good hand tools when I do drop them. I can leave my work on the floor without damaging the edges. It is easy on my knee when have have to kneel down and work on the floor.?
    Your hand tools are obviously not sharp enough. If they were, they'd go straight through the mat. DAMHIKT.

Picture 3: stop block extension on a cross-cut sled?
    This implies that you are trying to achieve some sort of uniformity. Where's the skill in that?

Picture 4: stop block on a cross-cut sled. I cut a 3mmX3mm rebate on all the edges. The rebate allows you to blow away the saw dust that normally gets trapped in the corner.?
    Saw dust is a naturally occuring phenomenon that should be allowed to contribute to the hand-made appearance of your work.

Picture 5. pencil sharpener. Don’t laugh. How many times has your cheap sharpener broken the pencil lead?
    It's a long time since there was any lead in my pencil.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Your hand tools are obviously not sharp enough. If they were, they'd go straight through the mat. DAMHIKT.

AlexS, have a look at your workshop now and tell us what sits underneath your workbench.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

My tip is: if you have a bad back and you put it out last weekend and it has been really sore all week, spending an hour and a half hunched over your workbench on Thursday afternoon is not a great idea and probably means a trip to the backcracker on Friday and a long weekend laying on your back in front of the TV.

AlexS, have a look at your workshop now and tell us what sits underneath your workbench.
    The !@#$%^ cat, but it doesn't stop tools either.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Picture 4: stop block on a cross-cut sled. I cut a 3mmX3mm rebate on all the edges. The rebate allows you to blow away the saw dust that normally gets trapped in the corner.
    Simple but effective
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Have posted this before but a fair while ago - may be of help to others - it works for me

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...128#post239128

Regards,
    Bob

Good tips Wongo.

Ignore the broken down hydrographer ... hard time for these guys. Years of nothing, then their instruments get swept away ;-}

My two bob's worth: clean up before you leave the workshop for the day (or night).

My zack's worth: sharpen every tool you need before a session in the workshop.

My tray's worth: take pleasure in the sound of a sharp tool working the wood.

Penny's worth: there are very few people who on their death-bed wish they'd spent more time in the office (S. Covey).
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Penny's worth: there are very few people who on their death-bed wish they'd spent more time in the office (S. Covey).
    I haven't even reached my deathbed and I already feel that way
    TM

OK, here's my GrrrRipper tip of the day.

My Grrr-Rippers had lost their grip, so it was a quick trip to the bathroom and a clean with a damp cloth.

In the process, I decided to have a go at freeing up the sliding bit in the middle. On both of them the moving part had been binding for quite a while and I was starting to fall out of love with them!

It didn't take much, a quick rub of UBeaut traditional wax in the track, and both are gliding freely again. So there you go, a quick dab of the sponsor's product and all is cool!

Cheers,

P

Handling a number of sharp edge tools, or other surfaces that need a gentle landing, have a few old computer mouse mats handy on the bench.
    Cheers, Ern

Re pencil sharpeners, did ya know ya can get one to sharpen the rectanglar carpenter pencils. I go one, picked it up in Bunnings.