Hi All

I want to enclose my verandah and convert it into a home office for a new business I am currently getting off the ground (sick of working for other people). Does anyone have any experience with councils/permits required for this?

There are no structural changes being made, the current roof supports will simply have a stud walls and windows put in between them. There are no overlooking issues but it is visible from the street. The roof will be lined with insulation as there is none at the moment (the fibro eaves, probably asbestos, will simply be covered with a plasterboard ceiling with insulation and wont be disturbed). The resulting room will (for now) not be directly accessible from inside the house but only via a separate external door next to the existing front door. The verandah floor is concrete supported by brick walls so is more than strong enough for an office. Power and lighting can come straight through the weatherboard walls from the house living room (circuit capacity permitting). Windows will be double glazed and any stud walls will be properly insulated and there will also be flow through ventilation.

Any opinions?
Are councils likely to want permits for this? The resulting room will be 1400mmx4600mm.

Thanks
Ben

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...