Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decking issues

Lightbulb decking issues

Great site, very useful but I have some questions that maybe some one could help with.

I am building a 1.4m raised decking (well, replacing an old, rotten one).
    I plan to use F7 H3 Primed radiata with a Aus. mixed hardwood deck.

1. Are 88 x 88 posts adequate? Is 113x113 (next size avail. in primed) an over kill? (bearer span is 1.6m, bearer 185 x 42, Joist 138 x 42) I have seen a recent project next door where the person used 88 x 88 @ 3.6m to support a deck 1.5M and pergola roof.

2. The posts are to continue past the deck level to become the handrail supports. I plan to use s/s cabling under the handrail (@125mm or less spacing). Is my post size adequate for the force that these generate if I am using the 88 x 88?

3. Are joist hangers as strong as laying the joists on the bearers?
    I have only found either 45 X 90 or 120 X 50 hangers in the local hardware. Can I use 45 x 90 for the 138 x 42 joists?

That will do for now.....

Thanks for your advice, grease monkey. Us mechanics will have a go at anything!!!!!

Hi There

1. I think AS requires that you have to provide diagonal bracing over 1000mm in height??
    2. I would have thought you would have a lot of trouble falling against a 90 x 90 handrail and breaking it. I'm not sure ... but you may be able to incorporate the diagonal bracing as part of your handrail above the deck instead of below ... if it suited better?
    3. Not sure why you would use joist hangers when you have 1.4 clearance? Definately not as strong and there are a lot of nails to bang in ... about 15 per hanger from memory ... plus you have to curt down all your joists to fit between the bearers. Sure you'd get away with the 45 x 90 but I wouldn't go that way unless you had to. Check the pryda site for hanger sizes, a timber yard probably has more.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    Great site, very useful but I have some questions that maybe some one could help with.

I am building a 1.4m raised decking (well, replacing an old, rotten one).
    I plan to use F7 H3 Primed radiata with a Aus. mixed hardwood deck.

1. Are 88 x 88 posts adequate? Is 113x113 (next size avail. in primed) an over kill? (bearer span is 1.6m, bearer 185 x 42, Joist 138 x 42) I have seen a recent project next door where the person used 88 x 88 @ 3.6m to support a deck 1.5M and pergola roof.

2. The posts are to continue past the deck level to become the handrail supports. I plan to use s/s cabling under the handrail (@125mm or less spacing). Is my post size adequate for the force that these generate if I am using the 88 x 88?

3. Are joist hangers as strong as laying the joists on the bearers?
    I have only found either 45 X 90 or 120 X 50 hangers in the local hardware. Can I use 45 x 90 for the 138 x 42 joists?

That will do for now.....

Thanks for your advice, grease monkey. Us mechanics will have a go at anything!!!!!
    1. yes, mnore than adequate.
    2. stronger in tie down effect and lateral forces, not as strong in vertical weight. Having said that, never seen a hanger fail personally (nor a standard joist on bearer).
    3. lots of sizes for hangers, widths available include 35 and 45 for H3 treated pi9ne standard sizes - see decent timber supply company for trades - will stock at least 6 sizes of hangers, even bunnies stocks all the 45mmm wide hangers, although not usually the 35 wide numbers.

have fun!

Thanks OBBob, It is just as I thought... Yes, I will use bracing ( Have copy of the Staines Bible!)

I originally wanted to stack the joists and use trip-l-grips but my only problem was the asthetic look of the front, having the joists finished by a fascia but still have a visible bearer (deck is in a corner and for the decking boards to run away from the main window, same direction of the bearers [as the mother in law wants it], viewed from front of house). If the joists were hung, it would look better with a single fascia. But with the under bracing, might just talk her into putting battens or lattice to hide it anyway... then the visible bearers wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. back 2 work

Thanks Pharmaboy2.

but I still have on question. WIll the 88 x 88 uprights take the stress of cabling for the mid section? (there will be a 90 x 35 hardwood handrail positioned in between the posts and not on top.)

cheers

Hey Grease monkey,

The uprights should be plenty strong enough. The BCA has revised the spacing between wires and includes a table. My local inspector just said they prefer 100mm spacings with uprights close together (about 1.5m) If the posts are further apart then the tensions need to increased or the spacings reduced.

Cheers
    Pulse

88x 88 posts are good to about 2.4 m height subject to the m2 each post supports.....

If you want to get the joist to run into the front bearer bolt a 4x2 on the inside of the bearer set down enough for the joists to sit on top flush

Do your bracing under the floor joists its a lot neater and we reckon works better than post bracing which always flexes

cheers Ute Mad

www.dialadeck.com.au

Forgot to add your better using rougher header treated for joists than the primed ones we find them stronger and better to nail the boards to

cheers utemad

Thanks utemad. I don't think I understand what you mean between post bracing and joist bracing. Do you mean putting either horizontal or diaganol bracing in between the joists? How does that effect the post stability as I thought I needed to brace in between the posts to give it rigidity. Also, It has become apparrent that I might have to make the deck free standing and not attached to the wall as the previous deck supports sunk and moved, there fore damaging the wall when it pulled away. I already have to re-mortar 6 bessa blocks back in but I am dubious as to whether I can re-attach to them again.

How is undressed wood better than the dressed primed? Why are they stronger or is it a cost issue?

Thanks, grease monkey out.

I wish the budget allowed for all duragal. I could have just welded the whole thing together and it would have been as strong as buggery. ....and rather permanent!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    Thanks utemad. I don't think I understand what you mean between post bracing and joist bracing. Do you mean putting either horizontal or diaganol bracing in between the joists? How does that effect the post stability as I thought I needed to brace in between the posts to give it rigidity. Also, It has become apparrent that I might have to make the deck free standing and not attached to the wall as the previous deck supports sunk and moved, there fore damaging the wall when it pulled away. I already have to re-mortar 6 bessa blocks back in but I am dubious as to whether I can re-attach to them again.

How is undressed wood better than the dressed primed? Why are they stronger or is it a cost issue?

Thanks, grease monkey out.
    Can't comment on attachment to the house cause i haven't seen it.... It is always advisable to attach the the house cause it provides a rigid place to brace off

The prime 6x2 are laminated blocks so we prefer to use the solid single piece jobs..... Its funny cause we use the lami primed in large sizes for beams just not the smaller sizes for structural

Joist bracing is simple you solid block the joists if required then put a 90 x 35 under the joists on the angle like a gate brace and attrach it to the bottom of the joists with either nails ...coach screws ... bugel screws etc
    We brace our structures under the floor cause if the floor is attached to the dwelling and braced rigid all the posts are doing is holding up the weight.... Obviously if its super high we would brace the posts but it would be more to eliminate deflection in the post than to brace the deck

How bout a photo of where its going

Cheers Ute Mad

I see, Iv'e seen that type of bracing in the Staines book. Iv'e Got a new problem.......

on the front wall, the previous deck had sunk and the bearer that was bolted to the wall damaged the wall, pulling away bricks (access opening to underside of house is directly below door) on both sides of the gap between the under access. As it is, I have to re mortar the besa blocks back in but do not trust them again to support a bearer. Therefore, I will still attach the beare to the wall ( not in the same places) but am unable to give the dyna bolts 'decent' spacing so I must use support posts. But the foundation comes out from the wall, under the g/l. How can I attach a post to it? I've come up with an idea.... see attached pictures... but I don't know if it is legal or practical. I can bolt to the other wall so thats not a problem but maybe it may be prudent to include supports as well being that it spans 5.8+M?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Oh, yea... have a look at the plans. Do I need to brace the whole deck or just the largest area?

Thanks,

Grease monkey

Thumbs up pics.

sorry, attachments didn't work. I'll try again in zipped format

Hi grease monkey ....if you want to post photo's easier go onto photobucket put your image there then just paste the img code straight into your post......

If the wall where the bearer attaches is shot another way is to put a post up the wall against the houst and dyna bolt it to the house with some 125 x 12 galv dyna bolts then house your bearer( wall plate ) into the posts this way the attachment is stil to the house but spread over the whole way down....you can even put a styrup under the post and pour a foooting aswell if you wanted

cheers utemad

Hi Grease monkey

Here are a few photos that might help

finished job i know lattice is daggy but they are (customers) sometimes the ones with the money!!!!

Wall attachment method

Another wall attachment method

Floor bracing method

Another project if you look close you can see floor bracing disregard the piece on the posts its not left there

This is with the joists sitting on the front bearer ...far sfer this method for you as a novice

Not to discourage you but if your not confident mabye its better that you hire someone to do the deck or hire a chippy if you can find one that will help you do it ..... that way if you have questions you know you'll have the answers at hand as well as someone to help lift and hold things....

Sorry its not an offer though as working with customers would be my biggest nightmare!!!!!

cheers ute mad