Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does shed-time count as 'unpaid domestic work for the household'?

During the next few days, we shall all be filling in our Census forms. I found a dilemma when I came to Question 48 on the form, which asks how many hours a week you spend on 'unpaid domestic work for the household'. If I exclude shed time, my contribution of unpaid domestic work amounts to a measly 'less than 5 hours a week'. On the other hand, if I include shed time, I would notch up a very creditable 30 hours or so. However, if I put down 30 hours, the statisticians in the Census office will laugh their heads off, conclude that I am a lying cane-toad, and put me down for zero hours per week. So, what to do? Are you including shed time in your census return?

Rocker

Rocker

I suppose it depends on how much of your shed-time is spent on things for your house, and how much is just for your own entertainment or for outside users. Reduce it to time spent making domestic stuff and repairing that stuff and you will probably bring it down to 10-15 hours pw which will be credible as well as accurate.

Cheers

yours in creative census completion

Jeremy
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

.....'unpaid domestic work for the household', eh?

That sounds to me suspiciously like a set of unblokely tasks.

I'd be very reluctant to classify shed time in that way. I reckon a bloke would be running perilously close to the margins of a Code violation there. :eek:
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Are you including shed time in your census return?

Rocker

Whilst I spend most of my time doing a makeover of the backyard, instead of being in the shed, I am going to include it as unpaid domestic work.

I can't see the difference between working inside the house or outside. It is still unpaid and helping the house hold. Even if it is only by keeping you out of harm's (SWMBO ) way.

Peter.

And of course being logged on to the forum is research time to enable you to do such unpaid domestic work

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    And of course being logged on to the forum is research time to enable you to do such unpaid domestic work

Naturally.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89
    Rocker

I suppose it depends on how much of your shed-time is spent on things for your house, and how much is just for your own entertainment or for outside users. Reduce it to time spent making domestic stuff and repairing that stuff and you will probably bring it down to 10-15 hours pw which will be credible as well as accurate.

Cheers

yours in creative census completion

Jeremy
    Hey, I don't just muck about in the shed to avoid other less entertaining chores. I make furniture which I either keep for my household or donate to other members of my extended family, thereby indirectly benefiting my household, since I can call in my brownie-points in exchange for accommodation whilst on holiday.

But others have not answered my question 'are you counting shed-time as unpaid domestic work in your census return?'.

Rocker

I would interpret the question as referring to shed time, only if spent in repairs or maintenance of the family property/estate.

Making stuff seems to me to be similar to a CAPEX whilst repairs etc are an EXPENSE.

Hope that makes sense.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

I agree with Bodgy

And Rocker in answer to your question - my bloody oath it will be included on my form...these people in Canberra have to know how hard we blokes work in contributing to the smooth running of our households.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

I personally think that anyone claiming more than five hours is in serious violation of the code.

The notion of counting unpaid domestic work is an entirely spurious one, and doesn't take into account the value of the work done to boot!

If I spend say an hour upgrading our computer software that'd have to be worth $150 wouldn't it?

On the other hand, cleaners can be had for say $15 (to make the maths easy)

So my hour would be worth ten hours if I'd spent the day cleaning wouldn't it?

Is there any wonder I'm too tired to do anything but read the paper when there's housework going on, I've been working ten times as hard as anyone else!

P

Bodgy,

The census question is not concerned with the overheads, or whether they are a capital expenditure or expense, they are asking about your expenditure of time. Gardening hours would not be excluded because you had spent money on buying a mower - that is necessary in order to mow the lawn.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Bodgy,

The census question is not concerned with the overheads, or whether they are a capital expenditure or expense, they are asking about your expenditure of time. Gardening hours would not be excluded because you had spent money on buying a mower - that is necessary in order to mow the lawn.

Rocker
    Rocky

I was making a rather clumsy analogy. What I'm trying to say is that if what you do in the shed is of a maintenance/repair nature, you should include it in the census.

If you are actually making something, then that should not be counted as you have added to your wealth/posessions/estate/whatever, which is not really in the spirit of 'unpaid' nor 'domestic'

I used the CAPEX/Expense example as in both cases you spend time/money but only in the first have you something to show for it, as opposed to merely keeping something you already have, functional.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

The information guide says :

Include all domestic work that the person did without pay, in their own home and in other places, for themselves and their household.

Unpaid domestic work can include meal preparation, services and cleanup; washing, ironing and managing clothes; any other housework;gardening, mowing and yardwork; home maintenance; car/bike maintenance; household shopping and managing household affairs.

So from the above there is no distinction between improvements (Capital) or maintenance (Expenses).

So working in the shed and building furniture for their household should be included, indeed any endeavour or hobby that is unpaid and in some way benefits themselves or their household should be included.

That includes shed time.

Peter.

Rocker,
    You have brought up an important issue, and will no doubt provoke some spirited debate here over the dinner table! But yes, I think I will include a proportion: its not "productive" time as in making money, but it helps the household situation run smoother, partly by me being vacant and not leaping down people's throats, and partly to assemble or mend household items. The fact that pushing a broom in the house is considered domestic work, and that the garden shed/workshop is part of the domus, I can also claim cleaning the shed as legitimate domestic work. Now we all know that's an endless task!
    How many of you also take one child or more under your wing when working in the shed? Sort of applied baby sitting. We know where that's heading...

Cheers
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Default Just in case....

Question 42 does NOT concern ‘Life the Universe & Everything’, it was the answer, not the question.

Is it Gumby's birthday yet?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.