Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post G'Day from the Gold Coast :)

Hi everyone,
    I've always enjoyed timber and I guess all things natural. I particularly like all the different species, varities, and what knot of wood. I just couldn't put my hands on the area of woodworking that I really liked and which allowed me to use a wide variety of materials - UNTIL I (re)discovered turning just a little while ago. The last thing I turned was many moons ago back in grade10 but I liked it then and had a feeling it wood be fun. Especially when I saw penmaking . This area really appeals to me because I can be creative with many types of timber and/or acrylics, produce useful art(maybe one day), not take up too much space, and not cost an arm and a leg (yeah write)
    After reading this forum for a while and also the IAP, the crowd seemed very genuine, so I joined up and here we go.
    I joined the Gold Coast Woodturners Inc to learn the tools and meet some interesting people. As yet, I haven't turned a pen, but I have turned a few little things to bring me up to speed. I have a good working knowledge of epoxy, which I hope to incorporate into my penmaking and design.
    I hope to learn many many wonderful things about the fabulous timber this great country has to offer.
    Thanks for your time, Glenn

Thumbs up

G'day Glenn and welcome to the shed!!!

How about you get along to our get together at Zarguld's place this Sunday. See datails under Woodies Events - further down the page.

Welcome Glen as Artme said there is a get together at Zargulds place see here Brisbane Gold Coast and surounding areas Bar-B-Q Feb 7th, - Page 6 - Woodwork Forums

Just look for all the old fellows and smell of wood you'll find it.

Ray

Hi Glenn, welcome to the forum.

"The training of the eyes to know when an edge is perfectly straight or a surface is flat, free from winding, and straight, is a very important part of a lad's training."

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Welcome Glen as Artme said there is a get together at Zargulds place see here Brisbane Gold Coast and surounding areas Bar-B-Q Feb 7th, - Page 6 - Woodwork Forums

Just look for all the old fellows and smell of wood you'll find it.

Ray
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the invite but Sunday is the only day I get with my daughter and she tends to get the dirts if we don't spend it at the beach . Just one of things. I am giving her the things that I turn up and she loves them, so she might become a wood nut herself? I'm sure there will be opportunities in the near future to meet you all .
    Cheers, Glenn.

hi glen and welcome to the mad house!

can you tell me where the wood turning club is?
    i live on the gold coast also and am very keen to start turning.

thanks, justin.

Hi Glenn, welcome aboard.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see that you have Pennnned something.

Gold Coast and District Woodturning Association INC. - Just turn it !

Welcome Glen.

Justin -

The club meets the third Saturday of each month and there is normally a demo following the meeting. Great bunch of guys.

There are hands on class Monday night (Beginners), Tuesday night (intermediate) and Wednesday nights (Advanced). The club is also open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings for hands on.

They have a great setup at the club with most Vicmarc Lathes and good quality chisels for beginners to use.

Cheers,

Todd