Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Soap Flakes?

Default Soap Flakes?

A mate asked me if I knew anything about finishing timber use Lux Soap Flakes. I haven't heard of it but he thought he had heard of it previously.

Has anyone heard of this technique? How, why etc would be most helpful.
    - Wood Borer

Default Finishing timber use Lux Soap Flakes

This is a well known practise in Denmark. You mix the pure soap flakes with a bit of water (distilled water to avoid calcium etc) in a bowl and beat it until you have a nice thick foam. You then simply cover the wood, say a table top, with 1 to 2 inch of the soap foam and leave it sitting for 24 hours after which you whipe the table off with a dry cloth. That's it. Depending on use, wear and tear you may repeat the process say every 6 months or so, initially. After a few years you are probably down to once a year. This practise or technique has been used for centuries and is especially suitable for open pored wood such as oak. It gives the wood a nice whitish colour.

Could be wrong but I think it is usually done with the traditional type lye soap, something that is almost unobtainable now in Australia. Closest thing would probably be velvet or one of the laundry soaps. You may however be able to get some of the awer lye type soap at a craft market where there is a soap maker.

It is basically the fatty acids or similar that make it work.

So what does the finish end up looking, feeling, sounding, and tasting like? :confused:
    Boring signature time again!

Quote Originally Posted by outback
    So what does the finish end up looking, feeling, sounding, and tasting like? :confused:
    "Tasting Like" Good God what is the world coming too:eek: Wait a minute ...Wood Licking .... Hmm could be a rather poor taste joke in this one. After careful consideration NO COMMENT
    Plausible deniability is the key to success

Thanks for the replies, I will forward them on to my mate and hence one of his students.

If they go ahead with the project I will let you know the of the outcome.
    - Wood Borer

One good thing, if you make a dining table and use the soap flakes, the dishes will get done while your eating.

Al