Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Default How will you survive?

I posted a couple of links the other day that presume that in just a few short years our civilisation as we know it will be history, presuming there is anyone to write it! Some of us are city types, some of us country, who do you think will survive the "apocalypse" of no oil, no power, no food, no water the longest or at all? What will you do? Where will you go? How will you try to survive?

Ask grunt he's already headin bush to his strawbale house.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

we'll switch to ethanol, no collapse or apocalypse necessary

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10723254/

Im going to buy a goat to tow my trailer full of gear to work.

Al

Oz you should ask Kevin Rudd if you can borrow the goat he gave John Howard.

After all if the Apocalypse happens we will be too busy saving ourselves to worry about Africa

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

The solution to survival will depend on which way civilisation comes to an end or will it undergo a dramatic metamorphisis.

If theres no more oil ever starting tomorrow there would be upheaval but other fuels would come available relatively fast.

If it occurs due to oil and climate problems remnant communities will arise.

If its the big nuke, most infrastructure will dissappear so rapidly that the evolvment of a new civilisation will face totally different problems,

As I see it the biggest single impediment to new civilsations rising from the ashes will be inability to communicate with other new or surviving societies.

In the shorterm there would be problems with wandering gatherers.
    Surviving in the midterm is possible, with enough notice by growing your own food etc, but that leaves many city dwellers right up the creek. So get a stock of seeds and put them away.

So Grunts little farm and strawbale house might be his ultimate survival. All he needs is guns to hold the maurauders at bay.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Get a horse and cart. Much easier........

Built in fertilizer machine. Dont cost too much to keep, no rego, no tires, shoes easy to change, all good

Pete

Geeze you blokes... for the 2nd (maybe 3rd) time in his life Chris posts a serious (at least I think it was meant to be, not just a troll for a barney) post & you blokes turn it into a joke.

Anyway, back to the subject.... survival.... Urban legend has it that the cockroaches will survive just about anything so, we all move to NSW. (State of Origin Joke)

Sorry Chris, I didn't take you seriously either.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy
    Get a horse and cart. Much easier........

Built in fertilizer machine. Dont cost too much to keep, no rego, no tires, shoes easy to change, all good

Pete
    Not so fast there horse boy.
    The new goverment has started a new tax on manure, the more your animal produces, the more you pay.
    And the rego is determined by animal mass.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    So get a stock of seeds and put them away.
    I heard the other day on news somewhere that there are countries already stockpiling seeds in 'Arks', in out of the way places like Greenland. Fully sealed and self-contained in case something happens to existing gene stocks of essential plants.:eek:
    In general I don't think there is any great problem switching to other fuels, except maybe highly volatile fuels for aviation. Electricity will still be generated from whatever, so short transport will still be feasible. Its just a case of how much people will be prepared to pay!
    If its Armageddon, I don't think I'd like to be around to fight for the scraps. Any notion of humanity would soon be quashed.

See ya.
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

For all the doomsayers out there read this book, it will really set your pantry packing going.

By Bill Bryson, A short History of everything

It's a great read, but I gotta tell you there's about another dozen ways that the earth is going to end in a split second that I never knew about - have you ever heard of a Caldera? Doomsaying and sensationalism apart, it is a good read gives a broadbrush on all sorts of stuff.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

One thing that people forget is that if there is one thing that humans are good at it's adapting.
    This is how we got to be at the top of the food chain.

Now I'm not saying that everything is sweet and that there aren't any problems in the world (actually I think that it's unlikely that humanity will make it to the end of the century) but I'm not chicken little either.

Anybody remember nuclear winter?

Who cares, me as I know me will be history in a few years, and I would have to be the supreme egotist to think that anything I could do would change the fact of my demise or the future of the world.
    I tend not to dwell on the things I can't do anything about, enjoy life instead of worrying about what might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    Who cares, me as I know me will be history in a few years, and I would have to be the supreme egotist to think that anything I could do would change the fact of my demise or the future of the world.
    maybe but maybe not
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

....Who cares, me as I know me will be history in a few years, and I would have to be the supreme egotist to think that anything I could do would change the fact of my demise or the future of the world.
    I tend not to dwell on the things I can't do anything about, enjoy life instead of worrying about what might happen.
    You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day walking in, singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends, they may think it's a movement.
    And that's what it is, the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement, and all you got to do to join is sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar.
    With feeling.....
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.