Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perth Drivers

Default Perth Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by today's SMH Column 8
    After spending 15 years in Western Australia, Laurie Cranston thought that sandgropers were the worst drivers in the country, but a recent experience on Sydney's roads almost changed his mind. He found himself behind a very erratic driver while driving to North Ryde. Then he noticed the car's personalised number plates - PERTH. "Some people really shouldn't advertise," says Laurie.
    I offer no comment.

Its true, they get behind the wheel over here, have a brain cell reduction, personality change and turn into utter peniscraniums. Arrogant with no respect is the best way to describe a large majority on Perth roads. Too lazy to even put on an indicator. Just MHO having lived in all states but Tassie.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Funny thing - we say the same about drivers with eastern states plates. I suppose with the lack of policing local rules apply and one gets used to the driving patterns in each state. Call it education by the level of complaint.
    We have a rising problem of road rage that is a bit of concern.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rodm
    Funny thing - we say the same about drivers with eastern states plates.
    Thats true, always got to watch for roundabouts and Mexicans
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

I've driven in all the mainland states and in quite a few places overseas. Perth drivers are amongst the most selfish I've ever come across. They don't like making way for other vehicles; they have no notion of what constitutes a safe braking distance; speed limits are to be ignored as unnecessary - especially in suburban streets where little kids might unexpectedly run out(!) The worst exponents seem to be young girls in their late teens and early 20s.

Rodm is right about the increasing tendency towards road rage, too.
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

They don't like making way for other vehicles; they have no notion of what constitutes a safe braking distance; speed limits are to be ignored as unnecessary - especially in suburban streets where little kids might unexpectedly run out(!) The worst exponents seem to be young girls in their late teens and early 20s.
    They sound just like Sydney drivers, Col...

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    They sound just like Sydney drivers, Col...
    The difference is everybody in Sydney, knows it, does it, expects it and gets on with it, like one for one at on ramps. Doesn't mean to say its safe just Sydneyites can do it with some respect and commonsense.

Cheers
    Squizzy

I took the family across to live in Sydney for most of 2000. My son and daughter - who, having been brought up in Perth, had never driven anywhere else - were at first very apprehensive about the volume and the speed of the traffic in Sydney but they quickly came to realise that people actually do make way for each other - as Squizzy says - one for one at on ramps and so on.

The average Perth motorist would prefer to kill you before giving way. A couple of months ago I had the temerity to squeeze onto the freeway ahead of another bloke (ie, I was merging from the on ramp and he was already in the LH freeway lane - there was plenty of room). He found a miniscule gap in the RH lane, accelerated into it, passed me then violently swerved back into the LH lane in front of me and braked hard before accelerating away off the next ramp. He nearly lost control of the car when he swerved. This bloke, by the way, wasn't some young hoon. I reckon he was in his 50s - and he was driving a Volvo! :eek:

Col - the (increasingly) cautious
    Driver of the Forums

Quote Originally Posted by vsquizz
    like one for one at on ramps..........Sydneyites can do it with some respect and commonsense.

Cheers
    The amount of people who can't work the "zipper" on on-ramps and such is truly amazing.

I've heard that Sydneyites are some of the best when it comes to dealing with the trafic on the roads.

I wonder if it's just a natural progresion of growing cities.
    When streets start to get to that slightly congested state, motorists go through states of selfishness and anger as their roads fill up, then eventaly resign themselves to the fact that they must share their road. As in Sydney.

Or not, and people are rectum-holes on the roads nowdays.

If Sydney drivers have mastered getting along (!) with each other, then Melbourne drivers have mastered cutting you off / blocking you out / running you off the road.

I always say that an added safety feature I've always wanted in my car is more power than the bloke next to me.

Ben-Manuel Fangio.

Driver (et al)

Sounds like the prevailing driving style I remember from South Africa. I wonder if the preponderance of my ex countrymen in Perth has anything to do with the problem?

Alastair

I lived in the Philippines for 2 1/2 years, the rules there are "Whatever You Can Get Away With". Makes for veeerrrryyyy interesting driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair
    Driver (et al)

Sounds like the prevailing driving style I remember from South Africa. I wonder if the preponderance of my ex countrymen in Perth has anything to do with the problem?

Alastair

Alastair

It's a mistake to think that there is a preponderance of South Africans in Perth. That was the media's big story prior to the Rugby World Cup - all that stuff about the England v Springboks game being like a home game for the Boks. Lot of cr@p of course. On the day, Subi was a sea of red and white, with a sprinkling of green.

Truth is, there are probably more English and Irish migrants in Perth than any other grouping.

I reckon Ben's got it right. The driving standards in most big cities are not too bad. People - even in Rome and Paris - tend to make way because if they didn't the place would snarl up. Perth hasn't really got past being a big country town yet. (Wouldn't want to live anywhere else, mind you )

Col - the settled Sandgroper.
    Driver of the Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    I lived in the Philippines for 2 1/2 years, the rules there are "Whatever You Can Get Away With". Makes for veeerrrryyyy interesting driving.
    Worst I ever saw was in KL. 7 or 8 'lanes' - lane markings didn't seem to matter to them. Merging and changing lanes all over the shop - all at top speed - people on bikes overtaking in the same lane as you're in. Our friend (ex-pat Aussie gone feral) picked us up from the airport and drove us into town. She was probably the maddest of the mad. Surprisingly it all seems to work itself out somehow.

Also stood on top of Arc de Triomphe for about 20 minutes watching the traffic. Amazing if you've never seen it. It's a big roundabout with a 5 lane road feeding into it. No lanes marked on the roundabout, they all just line up across it until they get a run and then all hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC

Also stood on top of Arc de Triomphe for about 20 minutes watching the traffic. .
    Darren

You're not that famous Aussie who was arrested for frying up his brekkie on the eternal flame at the Arc de Triomphe, are you?

Col
    Driver of the Forums

Silent, imagine that pic with about 10 times the vehicles and you've got Manila on a good day.