Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Australian Red Cedar coffee table

I am making a Red Cedar coffee table for a gift and would like some suggestions as to finishing it. At this stage I am planning to spray lacquer it in a stain finish doing a few light coats. I would rather oil it but it will be at a relatives house who wont be in a ;position to keep it reoiled etc so I need a durable long lasting finish that is low maintenance. Any ideas appreciated.

It is sounding that this might be the best way to go. Give it a try on a test piece to see if this is the finish result you are after.

I made two side tables for my loungeroom with Western Red Cedar about 2 years ago. I finished them with Organoil Hard Burnishing Oil and they have survived quite well with hot coffee cups (I try to encourage the use of coasters but not always done) and two young kids doing their best to destroy them. They have a nice warm satin glow. Worked for me with no maintenance as yet. Just another option.

Paul

Default Red Cedar finishing.

Thanks for the feedback Paul. I have used Organoil hard burnishing oil before and also found it fantastic on kitchen benches and floors on hardwood (blue gum) but haven't used on Cedar before. Did you apply it in the normal fashion, ie: 1 coat then let soak in and then another coat and hard burnish with random orbital sander with decreasing grades of wet and dry paper up to 1500 grade. Look forward to your reply.

Andrew.