Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Silky oak

Default Silky oak

There is a display of silky oak and the histroy of the timber on at the museum of Brisbane I think it is. Saw a article on channel 9 last week about it. Free I think it is to get into but they were saying on nine that there is little silky left to be legally harvested and that the comercial quantities were coming in from South America now. The presentor was also saying that silky is becoming more valuable and dearer to obtain. I haven't bought any as all of mine has come recycled from a few demolition jobs I was involved in. Roughly how much a cube is decent silky these days any how?
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegum View Post
    There is a display of silky oak and the histroy of the timber on at the museum of Brisbane I think it is. Saw a article on channel 9 last week about it. Free I think it is to get into but they were saying on nine that there is little silky left to be legally harvested and that the comercial quantities were coming in from South America now. The presentor was also saying that silky is becoming more valuable and dearer to obtain. I haven't bought any as all of mine has come recycled from a few demolition jobs I was involved in. Roughly how much a cube is decent silky these days any how?
    How much do you want and do you want quarter-sawn (figure) or backsawn (stable but dull)?
    Cheers,
    Craig

I have a reasonable ammount in the shed at the moment thanks Craig. I am running short of room at the moment with stuff already in my shed but I will keep you in mind. Most of the stuff I have is 40-50 years old from a few old buildings i have been able to sink my hammer into prior to demolition. Even window frames have found thier way into the shed purely because its silky.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.