Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's wrong with kids today?

I've been listening to Triple J for the last couple of weeks as a bit of a change from Radio National. Actually, until recently I couldn't pick JJJ up in my office. Someone must have cut down a tree or demolished a tall building somewhere.

According to their website, triple j (must be spelled with lower case letters these days - easier to type in SMS messages) is "Australia's youth radio station", so it would be fair to say that the music they play is representative of the tastes of the 'yoof' in this country.

I was a JJJ listener years ago, back when capital letters were still cool. I remember lots of great and not so great music from all genres. These days, they tend to play the same set of songs all the time. Not a day goes by where I don't hear Radio/Video, Doorbell, Candy and so on.

Now some of these have quite catchy tunes but one thing I have noticed is that, without an exception, they are all incredibly repetitive. One song for example consists pretty much of the words:

Hey man, look at me rockin out, I'm on the radio
    Hey man, look at me rockin out, I'm on the video
    repeat...

They take me away from the strangest places
    Sweet Danny and Lisa they take me away
    repeat...

By all accounts this is a very popular song. You have to conclude from this that the 'yoof' don't demand much in the way of meaning from their music and the more repetitive the lyrics and the beat, the happier they are. Some of these songs don't even have a chorus, fer chrissake.

No wonder attention spans are a thing of the past.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the youf aren't any different to what we were like (eh Neil, we need a 'grumpy old bugga' smilie)

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shhhh parliment is on the wireless

SilentC hurry the "antique roadshow" is starting on radio national !!!!!

My radio dial never (never ever) left JJJ until recently. Now they really aren't that much better than the comercial FM stations. The only thing that keeps me going back to JJJ is that the ads on the other stations drive me nuts!
    Specializing in O positive timber stains

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a yoof, there was this song called "Mashed Potato"

It went something like:

Mashed Potato
    yeah,

Yeah

yeah

YEAH

YEAH

Mashed Potato

Yeah

...... ... ..Repeat (about 12 times).

Now there was true poetry for ya, I've been finkin about the meaning for years, I wonder if my kids can help?

P

Post Thanks / Like

The commercial stations down here (Power FM and 2EC) I wouldn't give the time of day. Way too many ads and too, too much of what they call 'R&B', which ain't R&B. I switched on to ABC to listen to the cricket last year and just stayed with it, although I went across to Radio National because I was getting a lot of static interference.

BTW I opened my radio up and there are wires in it, so why do people call it a 'wireless'?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't flame me but have you tried ABC FM, it's classical I know but at 10.00am you get a one hour interview conducted by Margaret Throsby with an interesting cross section of people from our own and other communities.
    5.00pm you get a jazz session for an hour or so.
    Thats my choice and I have no complaints.
    As for repetition, remember that bloody awful Helen Reddy single from too many years ago, seemed like about about 15 minutes of 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, 'leave me alone, leave me leave'
    Then started again, wow, that was talent
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like

Now there was true poetry for ya, I've been finkin about the meaning for years, I wonder if my kids can help?
    It's about mashed potato of course. Tequila is about tequila, Wipeout is about wiping out, and no-one alive today knows what One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater is about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    no-one alive today knows what One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater is about.
    I thought it was the old Ericson telephones that stood on their end combined with a hallucinogenic.............

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried ABC FM
    I do tune in to that often. People started ribbing me about it when I answered the phone and they could hear Peer Gynt wafting away in the background. "What are you listening to, you old fart, bloody Mozart or somefing" they'd say... It was too much, so I flicked across to jjj to try and get jiggy wiv it (whatever that means) but i don't think it's working...

Post Thanks / Like

's choice too
    Surprises a few people.
    If you really want something different I'll send you some of my geetar work

Post Thanks / Like

no-one alive today knows what One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater is about.
    I s'pose it doesn't matter as long as we're still having fun, sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred

Dee doody doom doom, dee doody doom doom
    Dee doody doom doom, doom

Cheers,

P

Post Thanks / Like

Time to face facts mate.

You're nearly forty, therefore the wrong demographic for tripple bloody jay.

Why don't you stream a radio station from the US.

One that plays real R&B for instance. Not the hiphop crap that they call R&B today.

Craig (grumpy old bugger)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think you're right. Although my wife reckons I was born a grumpy old man. How would she know, she wasn't there!

So I suppose I'll need to change my Avitar to one similar to yours soon too?

Re. streaming, I'm on ISDN here, would be more of a trickle.

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know if a coffee machine can suffer from a urinary tract infection? Mine is having a lot of trouble passing steam at the moment...

Post Thanks / Like

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know if a coffee machine can suffer from a urinary tract infection? Mine is having a lot of trouble passing steam at the moment...
    When was the last time you descaled it?

Post Thanks / Like

Darren

Actually the present dearth of anything approaching intelligent popular music is a good omen.

In the UK many years ago, just before the rise of rock n' roll, the Hit Parade (that's what it was called!) was filled with the efforts of people whose names I have - after much effort - managed to obliterate from my memory, singing genuinely inane cr@p. I recall a song that went on about clog-dancing mice (possibly from the other side of the RITFOTU! :eek: ) and that bloody awful 'Tulips From Amsterdam' thing (there's a bit of a Dutch theme to all this, isn't there?)

So, my contention is that, just as in the late 50s and early 60s, all the present cr@p is probably a pre-cursor to a surge of good stuff. We can only hope!

Col
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover