Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default CTJ381 vs CTJ680 vs CTJ508

I'm sure someone will have an opinion.....!

I'm tempted by the 20" (bigger is better right?) but the 15" is still a pretty significant machine.

My current order of preference is
    CTJ508 (20", fixed head)
    CTJ381 (15", fixed head)
    CTJ680 (15", fixed table)

but I'd certainly entertain any knowledgeable opinions about whether there is a better order to put them in.

While on the topic, any opinions about the WDS400 drum sander?
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I'm sure someone will have an opinion.....!

I'm tempted by the 20" (bigger is better right?) but the 15" is still a pretty significant machine.

My current order of preference is
    CTJ508 (20", fixed head)
    CTJ381 (15", fixed head)
    CTJ680 (15", fixed table)

but I'd certainly entertain any knowledgeable opinions about whether there is a better order to put them in.

While on the topic, any opinions about the WDS400 drum sander?
    The 15" machine is a VERY significant machine, but yes bigger is better. I went through the same selection process, in the end couldn't justify getting the 20". Two reasons, the 20" is significantly bigger and heavier to move around, the price is also quite a lot higher. At the time they were both on special, 15" $995 or $1295, 20" $1695.

Then it came down to choosing between the CTJ381 ($1295) and the CTJ680 at $995.
    Went for the CTJ680 as I am not keen on the moving table type. I like having in and outfeed stands for the bigger stuff (have done 100x100x3000 Cypress posts etc) so the CTJ680 it was.

Did I make the right choice? - definitely

Would I buy it again? - definitely

Just make sure you have at least a 2hp dusty, these things throw out the chips real fast.

Would love to see prices like that - these days they are 680:$1449, 381:$1649 and 508:$2395!
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

We've got the 381 and we are very happy with it (just been surfacing some 125mm square 3000mm RRG posts).

The moving table has not been an issue - on the bigger sections you really need two people anyway because they are too heavy to safely carry - so not lining up with rollers or support tables has not been a problem.

That said though.....we'd probably have managed just fine with the cheaper fixed table unit too. But we liked the idea of not winding up the extra weight of the head and motor as opposed to the relatively light table. Less weight = less wear = longer life????
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Would love to see prices like that - these days they are 680:$1449, 381:$1649 and 508:$2395!
    I bought the 680 today for $1199. I don't know when the special ends, I just took mine