Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Shaker Lap Desk

Default Shaker Lap Desk

I made a Shaker lap desk.

Fine Woodworking magazine number two has an article on how to build one, so I used that for the dimensions.

The timber is Elm from Yarra Bend park in Melbourne and Chestnut from Ferny Creek in the Dandenongs.

It has the continuous grain technique for the sides and book matched lid and bottom.

The drawer pull is made by using a tapered plug cutter. Driil the plug cutter into the end grain of a piece of wood, then shape the wood as required and leave/expose the drilled plug. Drill a hole in the drawer front to match the plug and glue it in

IMG_3681.jpgIMG_3680.jpgIMG_3676.jpgIMG_3679.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg

Very nicely done.
    Dallas

Thanks for the show and tell.

Been thinking about a similar project, more as a laptop stand than a lap desk. Although the timber selection would be different, maybe New Guinea Rosewood.

Thanks, Treecycle and Anthony,

Some considerations for the build

• The bottom is only glued on so try and use quarter saw wood for stability.
    • Use some scrap wood to layout the dovetails and do some practice cuts as well.
    • I glued the bread board end on - should have done mortice and tenon with pegs - see what happens - but the bottom is glued on as per the design - so should be ok...
    • The drawer opening is outlined with a bead (cock bead ?). On this box it is flush but I think that having it proud as per the design would be better. The bead is Elm also but lighter in colour for contrast.
    • Make the lid a bit thicker than needed and then plane it to size'
    • The hinge screws for the lid have to be very short - had to cut down the ones I had and glue them in - brought them from Carbatec - they were OK for the price

Remote.... but does anyone have an original Shaker lap desk or detailed photos of one.... they must be now 250 years old .... suppose in a museum somewhere!

Very nicely executed, and beautiful grain.
    I like your pull. Interesting method.
    I've used similar but never as you have.

I'd suggest 3 hinges. (trust a suggestion is in order)
    Adds considerably more strength to the lid attachment.
    Not so careful use could "spring" the lid and with such tiny hinges break one away from the sides.

My initial impression was that the lid was frame and panel, but then saw it was a breadboard end. Breadboard would be easier and accentuate the panel/lid.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Thanks for the 3rd hinge suggestion,

I also think that building the box to fit the hinge is not a bad idea.