Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default WOODWORKING QUIZ for 8 Nov 04

Good Morning Friends,
    In addition to face planing to the desired thickness, a planer could be used as a jointer.

How do you think this operation is possible?

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio

As a young boy in the fifties I saw my grandfather using his jointer plane. It was so big I couldn't carry it.

His and my technique is to place the two timbers to be joined in a vice side by side and to run the plane along the two pieces of wood together, hoping one gets a level surface.

The long plane is able to take out the uneven bits and smooth them out far more easily than a shorter one.

One then glues and clamps as per usual.

Mick.

Optimax
    Your way is correct for hand planes but I think that Ralph was referring to a thicknesser when he said planer. The answer is still the same however, clamp the two edges to be joined upright and fed it through the planer. So long as the other side was square youi now have two matching pieces. Any lumps and bumps in one is reflected in the other.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Or you can attach the timber to a sled and run it through so it comes out true.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Good Evening Friends,
    The two Bob's have the correct idea, but first you would run them through the table saw at the same width to make them even and then placing two or more on their edges run them through the planer. Therefore jointing more than one board at the same time.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio