Some quick questions for the flooring gurus out there from a newbie..

I am installing bamboo T&G over existing something-pine stairs. The existing treads are rebated into the stringer. Using glue down method.

Q1 Should I be chopping off the nosing to make it flush with the riser first? I read elsewhere on the net that I should do this, however as the existing treads are rebated into the stringer, this may leave either a hole or a messy bit of chopped off wood on the sides. The stringer will be re-stained not painted.

Q2 So far I have cut a few boards to fit as best as I could. I would like to avoid using a skirting. The stair widths vary by a few mm all over the place, so cutting straight edges to fit leaves very small but noticeable gaps. Should I be trying harder to make a perfect fit (plane? sandpaper??) or is this normally just filled in with coloured caulk afterwards?
I did consider rebating the new boards into the stringer as well but I couldn't work out how to make the rebate.

Q3 If I glue down the nosing first then work my way into the stair, I won't get the chance to secret nail anything. Will all this hold together with just the glue ?

...Cheers

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...