Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Very useful facing/roughing milling cutter

One of yesterday's jobs was to tidy up the end of this 100 x 120 x 150 piece of (I think) A36. It had been appallingly hacked off with an oxy torch (not by me), and I needed to get it flat enough so I could stand it on that end without rocking.

My weapon of choice for this sort of ugly work is what CTC sell as a 45° chamfering endmill. Its a great metal removing bargain, holder and 10 tips (40 points) in your mail box for sixty odd dollars. I find myself using it whenever I need to tidy up anything that is welded, oxy cut, rusted, scaly, pitted etc. And it also works well as a finishing cutter for small areas, width of cut is 25mm.

It might even do good chamfers, I wouldn't know.

I've taken the surface down 8mm, there are still a lot of gouges, but it will be fine for what I need it to do.

Would it have been possible to cut it in the hacksaw? That cut looks like they used a cutting tip that was about 5 sizes to small, or that my first wife chewed it off .
    Nice finish though.
    Kryn

Bob Ward,
    I have the same tool from CTC that I bought when they we first released, they have snuck up in price over the years, but still great value. I use mine mostly for chamfering and they do a great job. I just set it up to work on the fixed jaw of the vice and rotate the part. Very nice to see all the chamfers line up.
    Bob

G'Day Bob,
    I also have the same cutter and find it great for roughing and chamfering, it's also terrific for making soft vice jaws to hold round stock, setup a length of aluminium angle backed with a lump of steel to prevent vibration, plow through it about 20mm from the top, then chop it in half and you're done.
    Regards,
    Martin