Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default white oil finish

Hello, I'm a student from Portugal. I'm working on a wood piece in white beech and I would like to finish this piece with an oil that mantain the original color of the wood. That means that I want the wood to be or, in the original color ( natural ) or if its possible to whitening the wood ( not with a paint but with an oil ).
    I'll share some images with the finish that I'm persuing.

http://www.kristensen.dk/media/48508/c6.jpg
    http://www.delaespada.com/data/Files...e878e0ee6d2080

thanks in advance,
    Best regards from Portugal

Hi There!

Oil finishes usually darken the wood. And the lightest you will get will be the same as if the wood was wet. White shellac will give the lightest finish! Or sprayed laquer, which you can matt down. Wood will also go darker where it is exposed to light! So might yellow over time anyway! Haven't worked in White beech though!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Just looked at the pic of the wood.. That looks like it has been "limed". Don't know much about that!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Default white oil finish

You can use a white oil, the LIVOS Kunos white has the white pigments that actually get trapped in the pores of the timber. This then maintains its original sanded look. the product though has enough waxes and resins to seal it. do not sand the first coat too finely otherwise not much of the pigments with remain and then you won't achieve the lovely limed look.
    The product is a German product but it is available in Spain so maybe Portugal as well.
    White beech is popular in Europe. we had it on our floor in Switzerland and actually had it white oiled too......i personally do not like darker timbers on floors.
    I have tried to upload a photo of two chests of drawers oiled in the white oil by Neil Scobie from Bucca Creek but it does not seem to have worked....sorry. I will have it put on our web site and you can have a look there.
    Hi Tea lady, I think we are in the same area. would love to show you how the white oil works.
    Livos Australia

<O</O

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaPetruzzi View Post
    Hi Tea lady, I think we are in the same area. would love to show you how the white oil works.
    Never seen white oil. Would be interesting!

But we could just meet for coffee too.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Default Livos White Oil

TL it works well , have a cuppa with Angela and see the results.

I have seen some of the peices Neil has used the oil on and it certainly whitens the peice.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Does it work on Tassie oak? Got a little project that is on the back burner cos I couldn't conceive of how to finish it!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

I found a pic of white oil on a floor on the Livos web site but can't find any info. Got a link?
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Likewise I don't know of a white oil but Liming Wax as mentioned by Tea Lady can be used over any finish as long as there is some grain for it to get into,
    Liming Wax.

No idea if this brand is available in Spain but I've seen 'Limed' kitchen cabinets over there so must be something like it.
    Dragonfly
    No-one suspects the dragonfly!

Default white oil

Carpinteiro,
    contact Peter Mayer
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt>Tel.</TD><TD>902 400 570</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>Fax</TD><TD>932 191 455</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>Email </TD><TD>[email protected]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    he can tell you if there is someone in Portugal or post it to you if need be.

<!--- Horario<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="alt">Invierno </td><td>lunes-jueves</td><td>9 a 14 - 15 a 18</td></tr><tr><td></td><td class="alt">viernes</td><td>9 a 14 - 15 a 17</td></tr><tr><td class="alt">Verano</td><td>lunes-viernes </td><td>8 a 15</td></tr></table> --->TL
    It works on any surface that is porous......but....it will depend on the look that you are after. on tas oak, being a darker timber can look good but also can look cloudy. if you had an off cut, I'm happy to sand and oil it in white for you and see if that is the look you are after.
    Need to figure out how to attach pics from my computor but if you email me, can send the picture thru email attachement.....and coffee anytime.

Jim
    Yep, Neil's work is just magnificent but then again, so is the work Liz does.
    Livos Australia

<O</O

Default White chest of drawers

Photo had to be resized and is now attached. Two beautiful chest of drawers oiled in the Kunos white be Neil Scobie.
    Livos Australia

<O</O

Missed this earlier, but I use Livos Kunos oil over white shellac, and find little if any darkening on timbers such as silver ash and Australian white beech.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

That's a useful one to file away in the old noggin - I was trying to find a finish that would leave American Ash as light as possible. I guess it wouldn't work so well on a really tight-grained timber like Rock Maple though?

AlexS - does kunos over white shellac prevent the Silver Ash going slightly yellowish over time?

Angela - I've got various Livos products in the small sampler size bottles to try, but do they offer the kunos white in this size?

Cheers

Oooh! A timely resurrection. Doing a turned box in white maple and wanted a way to keep it as white as possible.,
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Mr. B, yes, it seems to. Best thing I've found, anyway.
    It's not cheap, but Icut it 50/50 with bio thinners from the same people.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook