Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How did we survive?

How Did We Ever Survive?? -

This is for all of you who were raised in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags (not to mention no air conditioning!)

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because...

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Not one parent sued to get their son on the team. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! You survived your youth. Imagine that.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Did that too in the 70's.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

my dad taught me that my hand shake was binding .

My mates wife says her kid has got a computer, television, playstation and telephone in his bedroom. If she wants to punish him she has to send him to her room!
    Pugwash.

Never criticise Australia Post. One day they might find out where you live.
    www.clivequinn.com

I reckon it's funny how alot of people whinge about the generation they raised

life goes and things are changing

true what bluegum said we should teach the kids that !!!
    smile and the world will smile with you

Munruben

Don't forget the 6 foot 6 inch Copper with the size 12 boots who didn't take you to court for every misdemeanor! For you to receive the mandatory slap on the wrist.
    but took you somewhere and gave you a backhander I know which one I learned from and if you were silly enough to go home and tell your Dad you usually copped another one for playing up in the first place.

Nothing wrong with the right kind of Discipline.

Cheers Terry

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

there is a country song about this fairly new called "different world" by "bucky coventington"

"A Different World"

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
    Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
    No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
    Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
    We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
    Had three TV channels you got up to change
    No video games and no satellite
    All we had were friends and they were outside, playin' outside

[Chorus]
    It was a different life
    When we were boys and girls
    Not just a different time
    It was a different world

School always started the same every day
    The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
    Not every kid made the team when they tried
    We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

[Chorus]

Bridge
    No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
    And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

It was a different world
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlrFOBmdVI"]YouTube - Bucky Covington - A Different World - Official Video[/ame]

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Good one Carl
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

here is another song along the same vane - very true the lyrics.

Cheers

http://www.take40.com/artists/2281/sandi-thom?t=1785.3
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Not one parent sued to get their son on the team. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
    Yet this admirable, intelligent generation spawned the quick-to-sue, indoor-dwelling, pasty-faced, whinging, irresponsible, spineless, anti-disciplinarian excuses for humans that surround us today.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Honestly I would prefer to live back in the 70's again and very early 80's, so that my kids could enjoy the freedom I had without a care that there might be someone lurking around.

That they could ride a bike from here to the Black Stump, so long as they were back by 4:00, that they could play in the bush, catch yabbies in the creek...

I often wonder if the 50's might have been even better, a time from when my Dad was a young fella.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Used to play cricket down at the local ground from just after to school until it was too dark to see, then ride home on the dreaded clapped out pushbike with no breaks and a skipping pedal, no helmet, no lights, I know times back then were great but wouldn't let my kids do the same now!
    "Rotten to the Core"

I feel sorry for kids today. As a kid we, as stated got the coppers boot up our bum and no one would ever go home and tell. Walk down the street in the villiage I was in and do something wrong then the nearest adult would whack you. But you were safe in the community. No wierd cretons or rock spiders, No syringes in the public dunny or funny blue lights. Cripes I wouldnt swap my time for theirs