Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question spacing between boards for deck?

G'day,

Ok, the deck will be 140mm x 19mm merbu, how much spacing between boards should I allow?
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

4mm to 6mm
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Thanks Glock40sw.

www.brandhouse.net.au

The simplest and probably most common method is to simply use whatever you're using as fasteners (whether it be screws or nails) as spacers.

Mind you, with 140mm boards I reckon you could get away with up to a 1cm gap. Just my opinion, of course.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Thumbs up

G'day Skew,

Just what I was going to do , through a bit of timber x 2 with one at either end of the board, clamp and then screw down.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Check the spacing at each joist as you work along the board. Trust me on this.

So long as you work from one end, you'll only need a clamp for the worst boards. (If ya want a hand, you know where to find me.)

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    Check the spacing at each joist as you work along the board. Trust me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    If ya want a hand, you know where to find me.
    somewhere in your shed?

See how I go, I've got the bloke across the road roped in. Hoping to start Saturday week, but him having a recent blood clot could make it later. How are your knees and back?

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    See how I go, I've got the bloke across the road roped in. Hoping to start Saturday week, but him having a recent blood clot could make it later. How are your knees and back?
    Rightio. The clot wasn't serious? He hasn't had to give up his ambrosia, has he?

As for the knees and back - I'm of the school that prefers to clamber around over the joists 'n bearers than kneel on the finished side.

- Andy Mc

I'm almost done laying 140mm boards. I used the 'lay every 5th board method'. The reason I did this was -
    1. I didn't want the boards to creep. I knew that by laying every 5th board straight the job would end up being straight and square and wouldn't have to worry about checking it all the time.
    2. Whoever thinks that all boards are the correct width are kidding themselves. My 140mm boards ranged from 135 to 142mm.
    3. The job progresses quicker.

The client wanted roughly a 3mm gap so I worked out that 705mm from 1st to 5th board (outside edge) worked best. Doesn't sound right with a calculator but by physically checking one set it seemed that 705mm worked best. I then worked out my puzzle of random lengths to fill in the gaps, used a circular saw and a Stanley quick square to trim over joists and then used these bloody ripper blue colored 'large size' tile wedges (not spacers or tile crosses - I mean wedges) I got from Bunnings and tapped them into the gaps to get my even spaces. By far the best method. Stubborn boards went in with the normal persuation, actually even less persuation. The 'every 5th board' held the 'fill boards' in place therefore hands were free to pre-drill and drive each set of boards, not just one length of board at the time.

Cheers,
    Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!