Greetings all,

I am about to undertake my first installation of a new internal door frame and wondered whether anyone may be able to offer advice or point me in the direction of any decent tutorials?

I intend to take out two door frames from what used to be a separate toilet and bathroom on the top floor of my house. The rooms had their joining wall knocked down prior to me moving in. The people who did this work failed to take out the door frame, instead, plastering over the gap where the door once was. I intend to remove these two frames and take a small square of landing space to increase the bathroom size, having just one door opening against a wall rather than into the centre of the bathroom as it does now.

The walls do not appear, in my limited experience, to be load bearing and are stud walls with plasterboard. How would I know if a lintel was required? I assume that fitting a lintel of sorts would only be a good thing as a "just in case" safety measure? I plan to buy an internal frame from B&Q and re-use my current door. Does this sound like a reasonable option or can anything else be suggested?

Any help/tips would be very welcome.

Thank you

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....