Thread: Tonka toys

Default Tonka toys

Got a call from my parents the other day telling me that they wanted to me to collect all my old Tonka toys for our little bloke. We will be heading south towards the end of the year to pick them up. Some of them will require at bit of work as they are as touching probably 35 years old and have been played with by many kids over the years. They're all the old stlye pressed metal versions and from what dad hs said I will need to look around for a few spares such as wheels and the like. I've searched Tonka's web site no luck there as its all the new stuff and ebay but there isn't much around at the moment. So I thought I would put my feelers out here to see if any one can throw me a few ideas. Its things like wheels that I am after and a few other odds and sods but it won't be till I get there that I will know what I am up against. I'm thinking about even repainting them so if any one has an idea as to what colour tonka yellow is then that would be appreciated. Its pretty scarey to think I got my start in life as an earthmover aged about 4 and I am still at it. Guess the toys have just gotten a bit bigger as has the sand pit. Any advice appreciated, thanks for help on this one.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

I think "Caterpillar Yellow" is available as an off the shelf paint....but take it into an autopaint store and they can match it to something.

Plasti-Kote #376 Brite Yellow, from model stores is good, apparently.

try here

or Here

Or even here
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Seriously think about having them powdercoated. It's very cheap, (less than the cost of spray cans) and will get you a durable baked finish!

Cheers,

P

There is a truck here somewhere, very battered and last I saw of it it was being ghostied off the bridge by the nephews. I will search the creek and let you know if I find it, it did have four good wheels that you are welcome to if I can find it

Quote Originally Posted by Gra View Post
    try here

or Here

Or even here

Thanks GRA as this is just what I am looking for. I wil have a look at it after replying to this thread.
    Dave,

G'day BlueGum,

Have a poke around a the next hard rubbish day - SWMBO pulled out a Tonka truck in the last one - just a bit of rust on it and the rest is good.

(still got my Dozer from the days of playing in the sand pit when I was knee-high.)
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegum View Post
    Thanks GRA as this is just what I am looking for. I wil have a look at it after replying to this thread.
    No worries. Just remember

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    G'day BlueGum,

Have a poke around a the next hard rubbish day - SWMBO pulled out a Tonka truck in the last one - just a bit of rust on it and the rest is good.

(still got my Dozer from the days of playing in the sand pit when I was knee-high.)
    Good thought there Waldo, as I said I still play in a sand pit just the toys are that much bigger these days.
    Dave,