Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Trad Wax question - Paste or Liquid

Having tried a number of other preparations in the past, some good some not so flash I gave the jointer and saw table a "first dose" of Trad wax yesterday - good stuff on other things I have used it on in the past. [maybe a little strange but I also like the smell of it]

While rubbing, rubbing, rubbing I was thinking -

Would it be possible to liquefy Trad Wax?

The reasoning was that if this could be done then it could be placed in a squirt bottle, spray an even finish over a surface and polish when the carrier has evaporated. I'm fairly sure that I have seen liquid waxes before but can't recall where etc.

I did toy with the idea of rubbing as even a coat as I could and then heating with the heat gun to get it to flow "into the pores of the metal" - rather than rubbed in - just a thought.

With regards the Trad Wax,

Is it possible?

Would it change the properties of it?

Is it worthwhile?

Is liquid better, the same or worse than paste?

Has anyone done it? If so, how?

Is it just me or do others see a benefit in it?

Would it be cost effective?

I understand that this is Neil's area of expertise but thought that others may also have opinions/suggestions.

Regards,
    Bob

If you warm it up it goes almost liquid.
    Sit it in the sun is good enough, don't hit it with a blow tourch.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Bob

You are not strange as I like the smell also.

I rub some on jointer, soles of planes etc, scrub it in with a kitchen scourer and then polish off.
    Planes and other small items can be left out in the sun - has the same effect as standing the wax in the sun
    Works well.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Thanks for the comments, the sun idea is a good one but a little difficult to drag the cabinet saw out of the shed but will use it for the jointer.

My thought of liquid was to also allow me to spray a coat on woodwork and get an even coat as [I know I can be lazy] as well as not having to keep going into the container to refill my pad and then having to spread the wax evenly on the job first. I also thought the liquid idea would penetrate and seal the pores of the timber more effectively than just rubbing it in.

Regards,
    Bob

PS any thoughts Neil?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    ... the sun idea is a good one but a little difficult to drag the cabinet saw out of the shed....
    Yeah well, I actually meant the jar of trad wax.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Yeah well, I actually meant the jar of trad wax.

Happens when you don't read it carefully enough - heat up the the wax, the wax, the wax -- of course.

Send Neil a PM if you want to get his attention.
    Cliff.

I have in the past used wax diluted to a liquid with turpentine (not mineral turps). This was applied over an oil finish with a squirt bottle and buffed with a polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by bucket1 View Post
    I have in the past used wax diluted to a liquid with turpentine (not mineral turps). This was applied over an oil finish with a squirt bottle and buffed with a polisher.
    Great, could you please advise as to the brand of turpentine. We in the bush tend to be restricted with brands and quality or "know it alls" who tell you that "this is the same as what you are asking for" just to get rid of you.

Regards,
    Bob

Take a small quantity of the Trad from the jar and melt it in the Microwave (in a glass jar) add about 5 parts mineral turpentine to it and lid the jar, shake and allow to cool. Shake well before use.

Doesn't matter who's turps you use just don't use pure turps use the mineral one.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Neil, I understand that you make the stuff and know how it works.

The only mineral turpentine [turps] we get here is that Diggers stuff use for cleaning brushes or thinning paint [Woolies, Coles or paint store - don't have a Bunnings in this town] - is this the stuff you mean or have I got it all wrong? Especially as bucket 1 says not mineral turps.

Regards,
    Bob

The diggers stuff should be fine, look closely at the lable, it should say Mineral Turps.
    Cliff.

Thanks Cliff.

By the way "Are your feet dry?" You blokes up there seem to be getting more than your fair share.

Never dry where I am, well hardly ever, we live 865M above sea level in the clouds.

Cairns has had a fair bit & little bit of local flooding but nothing like Mackay, Emerald & Charleville.

Current stuff looks like it is moving off shore but we don't care 'cos we are going to Tassie for 10 days tomorrow morning.
    Cliff.

As Cliff said Diggers would be fine.

We use mineral turpentine in our polishes because it i is safer (health wise) than pure turpentine.

Brand shouldn't make any difference.

Cheers
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.