Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Connecting DVD, VCR & Foxtel to mono TV

I'm trying to connect the TV in our bedroom with the VCR, DVD player and Foxtel (analog)

The VCR is a Panasonic NV-HD675 and has the following connectors at the back:
    a pair of yellow sockets labelled Video in and Video out
    a pair of white sockets labelled audio in Left and audio out left
    a pair of red sockets labelled audio in right and audio out right
    plus sockets labelled RF-IN and RF-OUT (coax plugs?)

The DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-RV32 and has the following connectors at the back:
    a group labelled "audio out" comprising three sockets; White = LEFT, red = RIGHT plus a socket for a sub-woofer
    a group labelled "component video out" comprising three sockets labelled Pb, Y and Pr
    A yellow socket labelled Video out
    S Video connection

The TV is also Panasonic, model TC51 M75A. It has a very limited number of connections:
    a pair of white socket labelled Audio in and Audio out
    RC connection.

There is a single connection coming from the Foxtel box with an RC plug

What I want to do is to connect it all up so that I can use either the DVD, VCR or Foxtel through a mono TV.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Time to buy a new telly I reckon.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.

Iain will probably have the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    Time to buy a new telly I reckon.
    I didn't think the tv was all that old but these days time seems to fly by so it might be a few years old. It has a great picture and as it's the 'spare' for the bedroom it's a bit hard to justify an upgrade.

I don't think you can do all of them . You are limited by the fact that the TV only has 2 input options.

This might help.

http://www.foxtel.tv/files/digital_interference.pdf
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by doublejay
    I'm trying to connect the TV in our bedroom with the VCR, DVD player and Foxtel (analog)

The VCR is a Panasonic NV-HD675 and has the following connectors at the back:
    a pair of white sockets labelled audio in Left and audio out left
    a pair of red sockets labelled audio in right and audio out right
    plus sockets labelled RF-IN and RF-OUT (coax plugs?)

The DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-RV32 and has the following connectors at the back:
    a group labelled "audio out" comprising three sockets; White = LEFT, red = RIGHT plus a socket for a sub-woofer
    a group labelled "component video out" comprising three sockets labelled Pb, Y and Pr
    A yellow socket labelled Video out
    S Video connection

The TV is also Panasonic, model TC51 M75A. It has a very limited number of connections:
    a pair of white socket labelled Audio in and Audio out
    RC connection.

There is a single connection coming from the Foxtel box with an RC plug

What I want to do is to connect it all up so that I can use either the DVD, VCR or Foxtel through a mono TV.
    Doublejay

If you connect the Foxtel box from the Audio and Video out to the VCR audio and Video in. Connect the Free to air aerial to RF in on the Video Recorder. Connect the RF out on the Video Recorder to the RF in on the TV.

Then connect the Audio and Video out from the DVD to the Audio and Video In on the TV bearing in mind that you will only get Mono.

You will then have to tune a channel on the tv to receive the foxtel as well as tune the channels to receive the free to air channels.

Hope that helps let me know.

Barry,
    Thanks for the advice. We don't have the free to air connection, it all comes via Foxtel. To complicate matters we can't find the power lead for the vcr so that's been parked temporarily.

One suggestion is to connect the Foxtel output to the VCR and then connect the VCR to the TV, I assume if I do that I'll need to change channels on the TV to switch between Foxtel and the VCR itself.

The next step is to connect the DVD player to the AV connections on the TV and then to watch a DVD we switch to AV on the telly. The minor downside here is that I can only connect one audio channel - Left or Right. I have been told that I can buy a 2 to 1 adaptor that will let me combine the signals from the left and right channels.

I think I'll have a browse around DSE tomorrow and see how it all works out.

Thanks again for taking the time help

Quote Originally Posted by doublejay
    Barry,
    Thanks for the advice. We don't have the free to air connection, it all comes via Foxtel. To complicate matters we can't find the power lead for the vcr so that's been parked temporarily.

One suggestion is to connect the Foxtel output to the VCR and then connect the VCR to the TV, I assume if I do that I'll need to change channels on the TV to switch between Foxtel and the VCR itself.

The next step is to connect the DVD player to the AV connections on the TV and then to watch a DVD we switch to AV on the telly. The minor downside here is that I can only connect one audio channel - Left or Right. I have been told that I can buy a 2 to 1 adaptor that will let me combine the signals from the left and right channels.

I think I'll have a browse around DSE tomorrow and see how it all works out.

Thanks again for taking the time help
    Thats interesting that you get the free to air channels through foxtel in Sydney or is it just that the RF antennae is connected to the Foxtel box or don't you have a free to air antennae.

Is foxtel via cable.

I would think you should be able to receive the VCR signal and the Foxtel signal on the same channel because the signal from the VCR would override the Foxtel signal when you put a video in the VCR to play
    >>

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White
    T
    I would think you should be able to receive the VCR signal and the Foxtel signal on the same channel because the signal from the VCR would override the Foxtel signal when you put a video in the VCR to play[/FONT]>>[/FONT]
    correct. You tune one TV channel to the VCR and that serves both foxtel and the VCR. Push play and you override the foxtel signal so you get what's on the tape. Turn it off and you get foxtel again.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Thats interesting that you get the free to air channels through foxtel in Sydney or is it just that the RF [FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]antennae is connected to the Foxtel box or don't you have a free to air antennae.
    Free to air comes down the Foxtel cable.

Free to air comes down the Foxtel cable.
    Well I never. Things have changed since I left that crap town.

Well I never. Things have changed since I left that crap town.
    I've been to Tamworth Barry. Now that's a crap town.

I've been to Tamworth Barry. Now that's a crap town.
    Craig

I tend to agree with you and fortunately I don't live in Tamworth but well north of it up on the tablelands where it is nice and cool. Tamworth is stinkin hot and full of country music fans at the moment. Maybe we'll get another flood and flush them all out down the river.

Tamworth is stinkin hot
    It might be hot, but it's a good dry heat. We drove to Brisbane over Christmas and on the way home we stopped for lunch in Tamworth. It was about 44 degrees but it didn't sap you the way 38 degrees does in Brisbane - or Sydney for that matter.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Back on topic, you can buy a remote controlled 3 or 4 rca switch unit for about $80.00, somewhere like Jaycar or one of their agents.
    Just connect all your components to the in side and a lead to the out for the TV, probably the easiest way.
    Most TV's now come with at least three inputs and I have seen up to 8, even the little ones have 3 and a game connector at the front.
    The power cable for the VCR should be easy to obtain from any aplliance repair place, there are only two or three configurations on the plug for the unit as a rule.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Craig

I tend to agree with you and fortunately I don't live in Tamworth but well north of it up on the tablelands where it is nice and cool. Tamworth is stinkin hot and full of country music fans at the moment. Maybe we'll get another flood and flush them all out down the river.
    Near Guyra then Barry?