Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Question for Neil

G'day Neil
    Just wondering. The black plastic bottle the IMS came in. If I decant the contents into other bottles would it be any advantage, in terms of longevity, to store my mixed french polish in? I've noticed that a batch I mixed about 2 months ago has gone really dark brown in the clear plastic bottle I mixed it in.
    Cheers
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Metho in plaky bottle is fine.

I prefer to keep my mixed shellac in a glass jar with a tight fitting, screw top lid, preferably plastic. Keep metal away from shellac as it will turn the mix black.

Brown (orange) shellac flakes (in solution) has a tendency to go from a tan colour to a dark brown over time and looks worse in some plastic bottles like polypropylene (the frosty looking bottles) The colour change as a rule doesn't effect the way the polish works or the look of it on the timber. You may find using a glass jar and keeping the mix away from bright light will stop the browning off a bit.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers - Neil

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut
    Metho in plaky bottle is fine.

I prefer to keep my mixed shellac in a glass jar with a tight fitting, screw top lid, preferably plastic. Keep metal away from shellac as it will turn the mix black.

Brown (orange) shellac flakes (in solution) has a tendency to go from a tan colour to a dark brown over time and looks worse in some plastic bottles like polypropylene (the frosty looking bottles) The colour change as a rule doesn't effect the way the polish works or the look of it on the timber. You may find using a glass jar and keeping the mix away from bright light will stop the browning off a bit.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers - Neil
    Thanks Neil.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!