Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finish for green timber

I have been turning some pieces of Eucalyptus Spathulata and I think the other variety is Eucalyptus Campaspe.
    These pieces are green and hence pose a problem with respect to a finish.
    So far the simplest finish I have managed to have some success with is a wax base furniture polish some thing like the u Bute Traditional wax in composition.
    The problem that I can see so far is that due to eth high moisture content of these timbers the wax seems to just sit on the surface. The worst case is with the Campaspe as the timber is very moist.

I did try a poly but that stayed on the surface of the timber and did not bond into the wood at all. Any form of rubbing would lift it off in small flakes. I did try to thin it out but this did not appear to make much f a difference.

What I would like to do is be able to use some suitable solvent to clean out some of the surface timber moisture and then apply a wax that will penetrate the timber a bit more than just sit on the surface.

I suspect a wax finish would be the best as the timber will dry slowly, thus not crack and what natural moisture lost can/would be replaced to some extent with the oil/wax for the polish. Ok being optimistic.

Any suggestion on a way forward here.

Have you tried the Nuke method?, stick them in the microwave and dry them out. In for about 5 min or untill it feels nice and hot, out untill cool then in again. I do some of mine about 4 - 5 times and then feed them lots of oil, seems to work. Oils, Linseed, furniture oil, mixture of Tung oil and turps or Danish.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Have you tried the Nuke method?, stick them in the microwave and dry them out. In for about 5 min or untill it feels nice and hot, out untill cool then in again. I do some of mine about 4 - 5 times and then feed them lots of oil, seems to work. Oils, Linseed, furniture oil, mixture of Tung oil and turps or Danish.
    I have considered that, but at present I only have access to one Nuke device and that is under SWMBO control, it is in the kitchen.
    (I may just have to wait till she goes shopping for a few hours)

Out of the oils you mention which come under the food safe group?
    Last edited by cultana; 30th May 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: text size