Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Merbau pricing - Where to buy?

Hey guys, I am just about to buy my timber and i need advice on where to get the best price. I wouldnt normally worry about price but seen as i need over 1400 lineal metres even a 10cent per metre difference will save me a lot.

I want 90 x 19 Merbau preferably.

Bunnings currently has it priced at $3.98 per metre however im sure someone out there knows of a mill or something in Vic or southern N.S.W that can beat that price.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

$3.98 is pretty good, considering the last time I got a price from Bunnings it was up around $5. My local Mitre 10 had it on special for $3.50 a couple of weeks ago and there was a bloke selling it in the paper for $3.75.

If I were you, I'd haggle with Bunnies. 1400 metres is a lot, they should be able to do something on the price for that quantity.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Tell bunnies you want trade or pack price becuase you are buying so much - then it will be about 3.20 a mtre.

I just spoke to bunnings and they wont do a trade price unless i have a trade account or a trade card. I wonder if i get my builder mate to speak to them if he will be eligible for their trade prices.

$3.98 is pretty good at Bunnings,but if you find it a bit cheaper Bunnings will better it by 10%.
    When I built my last deck Bunnings had it for around $4.50 and a local hardware had it for $4.05 so I got bunnings to beat it by 10% making it $3.64.
    Currently Bunnings is the cheapest in my area so I bought it at $3.98.

Yeah...3.98 a meter is good. Tile importers here in melb sell it for around 3.10 a meter.
    I'd do the dodge with your tradey mate if I were you...why not? Save yourself some mulah.

Narangba timbers north of Brisbane were selling merbau decking for 3.10 a lineal metre last year. give em a ring and check then go back to bunnings and either demand trade or let you have it for 2.80 a metre.

Bunnings my friend. I've just gone thru the same exercise and they were the cheapest.
    Get this my old man is a project manager for large building company that spend huge amounts thru bunnings. Their 'trade price' was $3.92 plus GST. So its cheaper to buy it as the average punter than on trade price.

Just to make you all jealous, you can get Jarrah decking direct from the sawmill here in the SW of WA for $3.20-$4.50 a metre!

I have previously bought Treated Pine from H Waterhouse & Son Pty Ltd, Healsville-Kooweerup Rd Woori Yallock. Their prices are excellent.

In the local paper I noticed that they now have Merbau, cannot be 100% sure of the price but pretty sure it was quite a bit less than the prices above.

Have thrown the local papers out but when the new one arrives will post with details.

Dave.

Just found their contact details if you wanted to give them a ring.

H Waterhouse & Son
    Address: 935 Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Rd, Woori Yallock, VIC 3139 Phone: (03) 5967 3993

Dave.

Thanks for your help guys. I just found a local timber yard who can do it for $3.70 a metre. That will do me just nicely

Al, is that Mansfield, Brisbane? There are Grays auctions every second Tuesday at Archerfield, and they auction off a lot of Merbau for sometimes give away prices.

Nah mate im in Mansfield, Victoria.

It does pay to shop around.
    I juz picked up 550 l/m for $3.10 p l/m.
    Previous best price I could find was $3.70.
    Bunnies was a little more than that - having said that they have their T/P structual pretty cheap, so I'll prol get a quote through them for this and see....
    Other places ranged from $3.70 up to $4.60.
    I was also told by many timber places to buy now before the decking season starts. Then the prices go up! They say it starts around mid-end Oct.
    So a little haggling now is good (they usually are clearing out their current stock to make way for the new shipment ready for the decking season!)