Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Did a stupid thing

After braking my leg in an industrial accident, I thought that it would be good to start wearing steel toed boots, but after 4 years of agony with toes chaffing, pressure sores and other boot associated maladies and many hundreds of $ trying every brand and style that I could I gave them away and went back to ordinary boots Anyways, after nearly 30 years of working in high risk environments, I finally dropped a piece of steel on my big toe

It was only a small piece of steel 300mm x 75mm x 25mm, but it just blew the nail clean off the end of my toe. all that was holding it on was the bit of skin at the back of the nail. The pain was incredible, not even the broken leg equaled the shear intensity of it. I ended up with my foot in a bucket of iced water for a couple of hours and remarkably the pain was gone, it still hurt to walk on, but luckily it was Friday afternoon, so I had the weekend for it to come good for work.

I still wear the ordinary boots, not even that will get me into the steel toe caps again

Moral of the story, don't drop things on your toes.

This pic was taken about 4 hours after it happened.
    Check my facebook:rhbtimber

Mate that looks nasty, hope its not to badly damaged. I can understand your dislike for safety boots as well. The old laughing sided styles are not the most comfortable.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

thank goodness no computer yet has smell

I have seen what steel cap boots can do to a blokes foot clean cut all toes off when he dropped a heavy vehicle rim on his foot.

I could never find a pair of safety boots that fitted either, much of the problem seemed to be a smallish but wide foot. In the end safety boots help in some incidents and hinder in others. the one foot injury I did have was to the top of the foot behind the steel line anyway. There is nothing worse than raw flesh being further aggrivated by an uncomfortable steel edge.

You may need to get boots a size or two too big - according to a friend, there are only a few sizes of steel cap, so if you go up a size the steel cap may be bigger. I've noticed a fair bit of difference in cap sizes between brands.

I am now finding even in regular shoes I am having to got up 2 full sizes to get a shoe that fits - shoes made by 'old' Australian companies are still a '10', but a lot of imported shoes are marked '10' but are nothing like it - I'm buying shoes marked as being Australian size '12' and it fits like a 10 I know UK shoes are about 1/2 to one size smaller, and Yank shoes are one to two sizes smaller - in a lot of shoes these sizes are also on the tag, other companies just don't bother - Rivers & Betts are two offenders there.

I always fitted the boots and most times they felt quite good on the fitting, it's only after your in them for 8 to 9 hours straight that they show their evil side. Mostly the apprentices get theirs 1 or 2 sizes too big and they look like a clown walking around with the toe of the boot flapping in front of them and it sort of defeats the purpose if the cap doesn't cover the toes?
    Check my facebook:rhbtimber

That is a bad. Hope you feel better.

I am just a hobbiest wood worker and so expect to have much minor scratches, cuts and splinters. Not wanting to suffer any major incident I use steel cap shoes and boots. first pair I guess I was lucky in the selection.

Default steel cap boots

I work on a farm and have chosen to wear steel cap boots. I have worn out several pairs and never found them uncomfortable. Only buy 'cheapies'. I wouldn't be without them as they have saved my toes from the chain saw on 2 occassions in the last 5 years. Yes I should be more carefull with the saw but accidents can happen.

I'll just give a plug for Steel Blue boots. As far as I'm concerned, they live up to their claim to be the most comfortable boot you will wear and they come in half sizes as well, a feature that is getting harder to find!

My toe-nail is now half grown.
    I didn't put the steel toe cap boots on and a 5 x 3 (inches) hardwood joist slipped off the trestles as I was sawing it.
    As you say it hurts.
    Couldn't get boots on for ages after that or even shoes.
    A plug for T Boots. I bought them in my shoe size and they have enough room for thick socks.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Graham, my firewood supplier has never worn shoes or boots. He wears thongs exclusively. A pair lasts him a month. The first time he turned up with a load of wood I said, "? Where's your boots/". Never worn 'em, never wil, he saysl. I asked him why he doesn't wear steel caps. He said he's never seen thongs with steel caps. He's over 50 and never had an accident in his thongs so he rationalises that he's saved thousands over the years by NOT wearing boots.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Quote Originally Posted by burraboy View Post
    I'll just give a plug for Steel Blue boots. As far as I'm concerned, they live up to their claim to be the most comfortable boot you will wear and they come in half sizes as well, a feature that is getting harder to find!
    I agree, i've had a pair for the last 2 years wear them 5 or 6 days a week at least 9 hours a day.

As for the thong guy saving money, 12 pairs of thongs a year at $5 each = $60/year. boots would last at least a year and you can get a pair of the cheaper ones for $60. $5 for thongs is based on the fact that i haven't seen any that would fit a adult for less than that for years.

Shedhand,
    Show your firewood supplier the attached picture, he may want to get a pair.

Regards,
    Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_w View Post
    shedhand,
    show your firewood supplier the attached picture, he may want to get a pair.

Regards,
    keith.
    gold :d:d:d:d
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

I'll vote for Steel Blue. I wear them at work even though I'm in a office job. More comfortable than most business shoes, safe, and a tax deduction (the old ones get recycled to the shed).