Default Help to Modernise Doors

First off, hi to everyone - been reading for a while and now i have a question (the first of many, i'm sure)

Just bought myself a house, build in the mid 70's and my question relates to the cupboard doors in the built-ins and linen cupboards.

Looks to me like the doors and cupboards are original and the doors look really dated - i don't know the technical term for them but when they are closed, part of the door sits in the frame and there is an overlap all the way round of about 10mm that goes over the frame - like the old 60's kitchen cupboards.

Well i don't like them - they look dated, but i don't know how to make them look more modern or what (if anything) they can be replaced with. Or would paint fix them up......i think they would still look dated even with a coat of paint.

Please bear in mind i am just a typical home handyman with no special skills or tools - just the usual stuff.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paint would be a long, slow process.

If they are anything like the 70's kitchens I have seen, the doors and carcases would be chipboard - which would be nicely greasy by now...if not turning into timber based weetabix.

You'd have to spend a fair amount of time cleaning them up and filling any edges before you could paint them, and even then they probably wouldn't give you the modern look you were after.

You could replace the doors; but off the shelf replacements probably aren't available in the sizes you need, so guestimate on $50-$100 per door to get some made up for you. Then you can worry about hinges, knobs, and hanging them.

It would probably be quicker and easier (and have a more certain appearance outcome) to replace the kitchen. Have a look at some of the diy kitchen websites run by other forum members. Re-doing a kitchen isnt a huge task especially if you are not comitted to having it all done in a day.

The kitchen has already been done by the previous owner. The cupboards i'm talking about are the built in wardrobes and linen cupboards.

The all appear to be wood, not chipboard (could be ply?) and are in pretty good condition for their age, with no swelling or warping and all open and close.

The problem is they just lok old and i would like to modernise them somehow.....

Does that make sense???

i have the same ones in my place, similar age too, 1975. i haven't come up with an answer either, but was planning on replacing the doors and putting a new edging around it.
    failing that rip the whole thing out and start again.

Hi Sarrge,
    Welcome to the forum! I reckon we could help more if you post a photo, then we laugh and snicker at the daggy 70's, then offer advice!! JJ... I've got a 1980 place and daggy too.
    Just remember the 100Kb limit with photos.

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Thanks guys, I'll see if i can get the keys and take some pics for you to have a laugh over then......settlement isn't for three weeks but should be able to sort something out.

Back soon.......

here are the photo's - chuckle away.......but please help LOL

*snicker* ... nah i cant snicker theyre exactly the same as mine. my settlement is in 3 weeks as well. are you sure you arent me? lol.... goodluck.

I had exactly the same setup in the master bedroom, dating from 1974. I ended up tossing the whole lot and rebuilding the robes with floor to ceiling sliding doors. You can get narrow and higher than standard doors on order from hardwares or door places, the tracks and shelves all come from the hardware store and are all dead easy to install. Wire shelves are screwed to the wall and then the robes are built around them, reasonably priced too.