Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Recessed microwave and fridge???

Question relating to recessing microwave and fridge into a wall?

I am going to build a wall between two rooms of my house, the kitchen and the study.

The study side of the wall will be finished as a wall length built in bookshelving and computer/ work desk.

In the kitchen I am pretty keen on the Idea of building two recesses into the wall for the microwave and for the fridge/freezer combination.

Both will be made large enough to accomodate different types of appliances for future replacement.

The question is, what do I need to provide in the way of ventilation for the appliances.?????
    The microwave has vents on the side and the fridge is a sealed back unit, but has a small vent at the bottom at the back.

I am ok to put vent type grills into the bookshelf in the study, but only want to put what is essential- keeping the grills to a minimum.

Each recess will probably be around 100mm oversized at all dimensions.

Any advice or requirements??

Cheers

Bricks.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Default Suggestion

Make sure you have at least 50mm clearance around the sides of your fridge freezer and also at the back. For the cupboard above the friddge freezer, leave a gap at the back could be 150 mm giving a typical cupboard depth of about 450mm wich is plenty for a high up cupboard. See attachment.

You can do a similar thing for your microwave or alternatively just make the gap around it a little larger. If you want to get creative, you could always install a pvc vent pipe at the back of the cupboard.

Don't bother putting vents through into your book case in your study. The cooking smells could be quite distracting! Seriously, the steam/oils in the air from the microvave will damage your bookcase and its contents.

I hope this helps

Chipman

Check your manufacturer specs They all vary I have a Maytag fridge it is specificly designed so it can be recessed it only requires 20mm gap all round

I would do that but some knuklehead (me) did'nt keep the books that come with the appliances due to the code violation of actually reading the instructions- to remove the temptation I threw them away.

Cheers anyway fellas
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

A quick search of your fridge and microwave part numbers should throw up something on the net - most of them publish the pdfs for download now