Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Nail discovery

Default Nail discovery

What does every one use for nail finding in recycled timber?

I have in the past used the eye ball and sanding technique with a fair amount of success, but even then I’ve experienced the occasional notched planer blade.

I have searched around a fair bit for a metal detector and even tried an inexpensive detector kit that Dick smiths sell, that was ok but very temperamental.

I recently noticed a stud finder and metal detector combination in Bunnings ($48) and though I’d give it a try (thinks: can always take it back if it’s no good). I am quite impressed with the unit it will search approx 3 cm into a block of Jarrah and has found several nails that I would have missed using the old method

The best thing I have found to find nails is my thicknesser, it always manages to find that ONE nail I always miss!!!DOH!!
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

My sawmiller used to use one of those little wizards but has since switched over to one of those full size detectors you see people looking for drink cans at the beach with. (At least I assume that's what they're doing, cause it's all they seem to find!) Anyway he reckons it's much more powerful and more likely to pick up those nails that someone hammered into that tree 20 years ago. Seeing how people tend to get sick of finding empty drink cans at the beach you can probably pick up one of those big suckers at a garage sale. Personally I find that any freshly sharpened chisel will find a nail everytime.

Mick

Too true!
    I have one of the larger Lumber Wizard detectors on order (The security guard wand type ol' Norm uses). When it arrives in a week or three, I'll let you all know how it goes.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

I use the little wizard, it does the job quite well. It has saved my Planar blades lots of times and has paid for itself
    Suresh

I recently picked up a combination electronic tester / metal locator from Jaycar for $20.

See: Jaycar QP2270 metal detector

If this link doesn't work just go to www.jaycar.com.au and search for QP2270.

This little gadget has proved itself to be pretty damn good. It has adjustable sensitivity, and can be used to locate live power circuits too!

I noticed in my testing though that if I pass the detector straight over the head of the nail, it didn't work too well. I'm guessing that the very small metal surface area being presented to the detector wasn't enough for it to register. In effect it's only picking up an area the size of the nail head.

BUT...

If I passed the detector across the side of the timber, where the detector is parallel with any potential nails, it picked it up really well. This obviously presented a larger section for the detector to pick up.

This test was successful in a piece of hardwood where the nail was sunk around an inch from the edge of the timber. The detector picked it up very clearly. i.e. any old hardwood 4x2s shouldn't be a problem at all. Haven't tried it yet on some big 4x4 posts that I have.

For the cost, you can't go wrong, and it's already saved me a couple of times where very old rusty nails were still deeply imbedded in the timber, and the head had been snapped off making it look like the nail was removed.

Hope this helps.

Paul.
    I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory...