Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Glass Window Repairs

Hi All,

I've got some bad rot in the lower upright portions of a glass window frame (See pics). I'd like to remove the glass in the lower panes (which is 3mm anyway and should go) cut out all the lower portions below the cross beam of the frames and sill. Then replace and reglaze all with plate or 6mm. However my missus wants to get an aluminium window made up by regency or such like or get a builder in for a quote and replace the whole lot. I said I'd post the issue here and canvas opinion. Your thoughts please ladies and gentlemen?
    Help ma boab, the bairns goat it awe wrang!

It's not a good idea to cut/patch the stiles as you suggest, 'cos it compromises their structural integrity. They really should be one piece, no joints - not for load-bearing reasons but because people tend to lean against 'em when looking out the windows or winding the mechanisms in/out. Unless you go to the extremes of a substantial half-lapped joint (or something more complex) and even then I'd have my doubts.

If you really want to repair 'em yourself, you should remove the window, dismantle it completely, replace the stiles and then reassemble/install. This is because the rails/stiles are mortised'n'tenoned and to disassemble you have to reverse the original assembly order.

It really ain't worth it, IMHO. I agree about replacing the glass though... 3mm? Tsk, Tsk!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Cheers, Thats +1 for SWMBO any other takers?

Default Window Repairs

Would agree that you should not cut & shut. Noticed you said you go dry rot. Copper Napthante is the go. Pascol paints have it, I think they call it Stop Rot. there is another product called Bar-D-K Aslo a copper napthante product. They will stiff you about $20 for a litre of the stuff - the theiving sods - you can go to places like vital chemicals and bu 20 litres for the same amount.

Back to the dry rot. I'd nearly bet this timber was painted with acrylic paint and the bit that has rotted would be where the timber is horizontal, and water has ponded. Have queried many people about this over the years and no one has knocked the statement. Acrylic paint on vertical surfaces -OK, but not horizontal when expozed to weather. Go back to oil based paint.

Know of a bloke up at Noosa had to replace a complete timber deck that was less than 3 years old that had been coated with acrylic

Colin Howkins
    Graceville Qld

+2 for SWMBO, looks like I'll be having another serving of my favourite dish 'humble pie' I dread o think what it's gonna cost to get the whole window replaced.

Hate to say this on this forum, but your better half is right. Unless you really like the idea of repairing them yourself, you will get a first rate window for a lot cheaper and without the hassle buying a prebuilt.
    Just my opinion, I rebuilt a window... once.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Where would be the best place to get a prebuilt in Melbourne. I've used regency for aluminum before and they were good. anyone else to consider for Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Hootsmon View Post
    Your thoughts please ladies and gentlemen?
    It depends on your skill level.

I have done it on a whole window wall and side walls, 7 windows, which was from floor level to nearly the ceiling.

It involved removing the glass, propping up the ceiling and then after cutting the deamaged parts out replacing the bottom of the windows with new window sills and stud framing, adding weatherboards on the outside and plastering on the inside and then cutting the glass to size and reglazing.

It took 2 of us 2 days and a lot of effort but cost was minimal.

So the amount and skill level is considerable for a DIY, so it depends.

Peter.