Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Need info in regards to plumbing terms

I have done exhaustive searches, and not really coming up with the right information. What I want to know is the correct descriptions needed to describe PVC pipe fittings. From Y connectors, 90 degree elbows to cements. I have to replace some stormwater pipe to replace old metal downpipes and clay pipes, and I find the plumbing people at the trade outlet very intimidating and no help. They pretty much have no (that is 0 or zero) retail customer service skills.

I understand that most of the people that go in there have their overalls on and talk the talk. I know I will get a good price, but just need to be able to order the right bits by the right name.

The terms I have seen are things like 100mm PVC 88 FF to describe a right angle elbow with sockets both ends in 100mm PVC. I have seen that 88 degrees is what the 90 degree bends are, obviously to allow for fall.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_sm View Post
    I have done exhaustive searches, and not really coming up with the right information. What I want to know is the correct descriptions needed to describe PVC pipe fittings. From Y connectors, 90 degree elbows to cements. I have to replace some stormwater pipe to replace old metal downpipes and clay pipes, and I find the plumbing people at the trade outlet very intimidating and no help. They pretty much have no (that is 0 or zero) retail customer service skills.

I understand that most of the people that go in there have their overalls on and talk the talk. I know I will get a good price, but just need to be able to order the right bits by the right name.

The terms I have seen are things like 100mm PVC 88 FF to describe a right angle elbow with sockets both ends in 100mm PVC. I have seen that 88 degrees is what the 90 degree bends are, obviously to allow for fall.
    Why don't you just get a a plumber to do it. You won't be able to connect anything up anyway (its illegal for unqualified person to do it). Just dig the trenches and holes a get a plumber to do the rest.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

What fittings in particular are you after?

Tools

The replies came so quick. Wow!

I understand the concern about the qualified (licenced) side of things, but as it is an exact replacement of what is existing, then I believe it should not need a licenced fitter. I know that when I had my garage stormwater fitted that it had to be licenced as it was a NEW connection to the network.

What I find really interesting is that there is no restrictions whatsoever on who can do any mechanical or body modifications to a motor vehicle as long as it is to standard, anyone can buy brake components or lowering kits yet when I want to replace a GPO or section of pipe to a newer and safer type it is met with negativity.

I cannot affor a plumber. I am not aiming this at shedhand in any way, please I am a mellow fellow. I simply just don't have any money, especially since we are a single income family and my wife got the sack for being pregnant and the new IR laws make the whole thing too grey to allow any justice. I am a man, I stand as a man and I will work hard and harder to make my family home environment as good as it can be. I really appreciate any help that people can give so I can do this properly.

I'd just do it myself if I was replacing existing sewer, but I believe that you are allowed to do your own storm water anyway.

Google is your friend: - stormwater fittings

This is known as a 'slope junction'. F&F stands for female female. M&F stands for male and female. They're different in that the male fits into the female. You can also get 'nipples' and 'kinkos'. They're a 'kinky' lot these plumbers.

And did you know that the man who popularised the flushing toilet cistern was Thomas Crapper.
    Anyway, I'd better drink my coffee before it gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_sm View Post
    The replies came so quick. Wow!

I understand the concern about the qualified (licenced) side of things, but as it is an exact replacement of what is existing, then I believe it should not need a licenced fitter. I know that when I had my garage stormwater fitted that it had to be licenced as it was a NEW connection to the network.
    Unfortunately, whether you think it is right or wrong, you must use a licensed plumber to do that kind of work so be aware of it.

In your circumstances I would go to Bunnings, look at the fittings you may need, talk to the resident plumber (yes, my local store has a plumber working there), and then take down the names and details if you want to buy it elsewhere but often Bunnings is cheaper, especially as they sell pipe by the meter and not 6 meter lenghts as plumbing stores do.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    Google is your friend: - stormwater fittings
    It always comes down to using the right words to search. doh!

Muchos Gracias

I wasn't having a shot at you Pete. Here in Tassie you have to use a licensed,insured and registered plumber for storm-water, sewer and associated plumbing installations. My SIL ( a plumber) installed new storm-water and sewer works in my backyard and had to leave the work uncovered so the council inspector could tick it off. We replaced old cement and clay pipes and added some new ones for which I had to pay $4.00 each to council. It may be different regs where you are but I doubt it the regs are pretty unifom nationally now.
    Cheers and GL with the work.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhand View Post
    It may be different regs where you are but I doubt it the regs are pretty unifom nationally now.
    Cheers and GL with the work.
    On a lot of the jobs I've worked on in the past, the builder would get the laborers to do the storm water to save some bucks. I did an extension for my sister about three years ago and my brother and I installed all the storm water. The council passed the job no worries. Storm water has nothing to do with the water board and they only inspect sewer and water mains here in Sydney.

I don't know what the regulations specifically say though. You're supposed to be licensed to do waterproof bathroom membranes as well but I've done heaps of them and the council has passed them all. You're probably supposed to be licensed to pick up a shovel or a paintbrush as well though.

Storm water is covered under the building code of australia, anyone can do it, you may need to apply to your local coucil for a permit to undertake building works tho, ANYONE CAN DO IT. Plumbers and builders dont have to coz we knowz whats the hikyz goez wherez give me a list of what you think you need pete and ill tell ya what ya want.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!