Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Plane ID and help please

Well, I had my last opportunity to scrounge through my late grandfather's tools before the house is sold. I didn't come out with much other than this plane. I was wondering if anyone could ID it and also help me with how to pull it apart for a clean? The blade and chip breaker are stuck. I've not used or played with a wooden plane before and I don't know how to remove them without breaking the plane.

Thanks in advance!

Denim.

Can't help with ID, but a sharp tap with a hammer on the metal disc should loosen the wedge that holds the blade.

Default wooden plane

Hold the plane in left hand with fingers underneath.Place thumb on wedge so when all comes loose it will not fall on foor . Use a light mallet or protect the heel of the plane with a piece of leather. Give the heel a sharp crack and all will fall apart.
    Rowley.

If I recognize the mark correctly it is a German ULMIA rabbet plane with double iron:

http://www.ulmia.de/English/Ulmia-Ho...%20Doppeleisen

You may have to loosen the screw on top and move the front part of the sole forward to get the iron out. If the advice given above does not help you could try to tap the iron down to remove it.

If you want to use the plane I would replace the nut on top with a wingnut and plug the hole in the bottom.

Wolfgang

hello Denim, with this plane the blade is inserted through the mouth and the wedge is inserted through the top to hold the blade in place. The wedge needs to be removed through the top of the body to allow the iron to be free to exit through the mouth.

To remove the wedge, try holding the body of the plane in one hand, with the mouth away from you and grasp the wedge firmly with the other hand. Do *not* hold both the wedge and iron, but rather just the wedge.

Rap the heel of the plane sharply down onto the surface of your bench, near the edge, so the hand with the wedge continues the downward motion but the body of the plane remains solidly on the bench. The hand holding the body is just to guide and balance things while the downward force should be applied through the hand holding the wedge.

I find that sometimes more than one attempt is required to remove a firmly stuck wedge but usually not more than a few. Once the wedge is removed, the blade will be free to move around, but may not be removable, as Wolfgang said, until the mouth is opened up somewhat.

Beware damaging the surface of your bench or the edges/corners of the back end of your plane if you either hit too hard or not straight down with the flat end of the plane. A scrap of ply or similar will help in both protecting the bench and with confidence in the move.

Equally beware splinters from the end of your damaged wedge if your fingers slide upon striking the bench (I have had this painful experience).
    Peter Robinson
    Brisbane, Australia
    Slowly working on my Spokeshave and Titan references

Thanks very much everyone for your help. I've not had any time to look at it since I posted so I'll give it a go when I get home tonight. I like the double iron and the adjustable mouth so I think I will keep this one as a user.

Again thanks for the help.

Denim.

Good Morning Denim

Nice inheritance. There are also lots of short videos on the web on the use, maintenance and restoration of wooden planes. Google can be your friend.

Cheers

Graeme