Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Benchtops - only benchtops

Hi All,

need some assistance finding a supplier to just do benchtops. I am having trouble with the usual array of kitchen people, since they apparently have problems just doing the benchtops.

This is a reno "on the cheap" so I'm just looking for standard laminate benchtops.

I am based in Brisbane, and ideally looking for someone who might actually be OPEN at this time of year since I need to start in a few weeks.

Suggestions and rough prices would be highly appreciated.

Cheerio,
    sCORCH
    Yes - I'm a lawyer.
    No - I won't bill you for reading this.

Just a side suggestion - another way of doing laminate benchtops is to glue a laminate sheet to your preferred benchtop raw material (plywood, chipboard, mdf) then glue & nail timber moulding to the visible (ie. front, and some sides) edges of the benchtop. However, you'd need to find a hardware/other shop that sells laminate sheets. This gives you a lot of flexibility on laminate choice as well as the size/shape of the workbench. The finished appearance of the laminate plus timber trim also gives it a more classy look than the pure laminate moulded into the benchtop.

Wait till next week as most joinery will be back at work.

You may have to wait a while due to a backlog of work.

The other option is to DIY as suggested.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Hi Scorch,

This time of year is very difficult. We've almost finished our ensuite and have to wait at least 4 weeks for a shower screen, so we'll have to shower without a screen for a while - yay! I feel your pain.

We replaced the bench in our kitchen just over a year ago. Being a (very solid) 1950's kitchen, we were doing merely a facelift and the benchtop ended up being Jarrah stained Tassie Oak with a few coats of Danish Oil on it. Came up a treat and we haven't even recoated it yet (it's starting to need it, but this is apparently a piece of cake). It cost us about $300 to do and that's for about 6 - 7 metres of it. Basically we just biscuit joined 3 lengths of Tassie Oak, sanded it, stained it, oiled it, cut it to size and there it was!

Initially I was a bit hesitant to go for timber as a benchtop, but it has seriously been the best thing we did. We're pigs and often leave glasses sitting on the bench with a ring of water around them and even that doesn't leave marks! It's also very easy to repair if you damage it - not that we have had to yet, despite it often being very misused.

Cheers,
    Lotte

P.S. This took me 6 minutes to write. That'll be $38.50 plus GST.