Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: good suppliers?

Default good suppliers?

I've got a couple of resto projects going and need a bit of info, please.

I have been having a heck of a time finding antique reproduction casters. I'm doing up a set of dining chairs and the casters are dead. They are the very common ones with the wheel offset and the center screw a swivel (these particular ones are 48mm high). I haven't been able to find anything online either.

The second project is a jelly cupboard. The mesh in the doors needs to be replaced. I don't want to put in modern mesh. This is thin sheet of galvanized with holes approx 1.5 mm spaced 2mm on center.

Anybody know of a good supplier(s)? Thanks in advance.

These blokes are very good

Graeme Brown Antiques
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Brilliant-the exact casters I was looking for. Bonus-they are in Toorak and I'm in Collingwood! Thanks Waldo, you are a legend!

Happy to help.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

I don't think there are any suppliers that provide small amounts of the gauze cheap (at least what I would consider economically feasible for such an item).
    Fifty odd bucks for a small panel at least and makes it looks very new and naff.

I ended up using brass mesh in pure laziness cause I have some on hand, but what I've done in the past is to get some scrap tin sheet, download a design off the interenet and drill/punch the holes out yourself for a real depression look....

That reminds me, I've got to go pester Greg for some tas oak as I've got a bunch of these doors in my alleyway

Cheers,
    Garth

Thanks Garth-I think the same thing about the cost. I had already suggested to the client about using a solid panel and punching a pattern, but he wants it to be restored as accurately as possible.

Maybe a second opinion will shift his position.

Cheers, Mate

rogerjenkins Guest

Zinc Mesh Flywire,- that's what they called that stuff. Looks a bit like galv iron with heaps of holes punched in it. When bent it will snap quite easily. As I am an accumulator of all sorts of stuff over the years, as have done a bit of restoration work in my younger, ( & fitter ), days,- I think I could have just what you are looking for out in the back shed,- depending on what size, and shaped piece you require. Years ago, knew of an old carpenter who used to solder up the breaks in the Zinc Mesh Flywire. He did such a neat job with his repairwork that it looked like new again. That was back in the days of the old kero blowtorch, and the old copper-headed Soldering Irons of various sizes. ( Must be getting old to remember those days )

Roger

Roger-Thanks Heaps. Zinc Mesh is exactly what I was after. Found it in Graeme Brown Catalog (thanks Waldo).

Sometimes knowing what it's called makes it easier to find. I'm a Seppie, so sometimes there is a language breakdown!

Thanks to everybody that lent a hand!