Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Perception

Default Perception

I was at home yesterday listening to the local ABC radio. They were discussing the recent riots in London.

I will admit that I am not sure why they were rioting in London so I will not say much about that.

As I was listening there was an interview of a young lady and she mention something to this effect. They could do what they want when they want and the shop keepers, rich people can not stop them.

I have heard this before, rich people have there money work for them and that people who are not rich work for their money.

Now the thing that got me thinking is when has a shop keeper, a person who might work longer hours then the rest of us been classified as a rich person?

I found that interesting in that someone perception could be so different to mine. But that makes us just so diverse.

As a kid/teen, with parents who owned a few related businesses (photographic studio/services, mini-lab (drop off a roll - back in an hour) and pro lab) I was ALWAYS considered/teased to be from a rich family.

Granted, we rarely went without and had a large suburban property (3 blocks), but the extra blocks were bought for only a few thousand dollars each and during their full on business years, the folks had MILLIONS of dollars tied up in debts and equipment leases etc.

They worked bloody hard to give us what they never had as both came from poor families and we appreciated that growing up, but we hardly ever saw them and were always being looked after after school and on holidays by other people.

Massive debts and "foreign" parents = rich? Not on your life.

In fact, that teasing in my youth taught me to appreciate the blue collar class so much more. It's the s#%t kickers of working society that keep things rolling. Just look what happens when the garbos go on strike for just a few days...stinking bloody chaos...and I doubt anyone would call them "rich" but they are essential (or at least valuable to those that don't know how to handle themselves and their waste), so they should be respected and appreciated as should the small business owners, most of who, are struggling, just making ends meet or have their heads above the water but scared as to for how long.

The spread of those riots really gives me the irrits. It appears (can't trust the media too much) that's it's just packs of ferals doing, as you said, what they want because they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by RedShirtGuy View Post
    It appears (can't trust the media too much) that's it's just packs of ferals doing, as you said, what they want because they want to.
    This is about the best take on the riots that I've read so far
    A riot of consumption - The Drum Opinion - While we come to grips with the daily circumstances of the rioters' lives, as a means to understand their motivation, we need to attend to the overt fact that they are principally looters. (Australian Broadc

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Interesting read not sure that I agree with all of it but respect of others opion is upheld.

Im not from London so I cant comment with authority.

What does interest me is some of the further comments particularly the ones linking the roles of business and the former role of the church. The dominant value is now consume. And Tony help anyone who gets in the way of that value. Good call IMO. That the disadvantaged get a bit ticked is quite reasonable. Im sure a lot are cheering for the Libyan rebels cause we dont like Gaddafi. But the motivation is not that different.

But the little press Ive consumed on those charged indicates a broad cross section of the community. So I dont know jack
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com