Default What next? Help please.

G'day all, I have just about finished building a pine kitchen dresser for my daughter which I posted on this site in "Woodworking pics". I suggested in that post that I generally let myself down when it comes to the finishing stage.I have to admit I am a " stain and poly" sorta bloke, but I am pretty pleased with this thing so far and need some advice on the best finish. Coastie suggested Neil may be able to help but I would also ask for advice from all and sundry.
    I dont want to spoil it for the lack of a good finish.So.....what would you do?Attachment 58754
    The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Hey stephen,

Nice piece of furniture you have there.

Before any finishing advice can really be given - what would you like it to look like?

- stained?
    - gloss/matt
    - do you want to retain colour, or would some tinting be acceptable
    - probably many more options.

I'm sure you have something in mind for it - give us your thoughts on how you visualise the final product, and we'll try go from there.

Oh - given the shape of that piece, one thing you might be about to find out is when you should consider finishing some of the bits of your work BEFORE you put it all together... some of those nooks and crannies are going to be a little difficult to finish.

Cheerio,
    sCORCH
    Yes - I'm a lawyer.
    No - I won't bill you for reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by sCORCH View Post
    Hey stephen,

Nice piece of furniture you have there.

Before any finishing advice can really be given - what would you like it to look like?

- stained?
    - gloss/matt
    - do you want to retain colour, or would some tinting be acceptable
    - probably many more options.

I'm sure you have something in mind for it - give us your thoughts on how you visualise the final product, and we'll try go from there.

Cheerio,
    sCORCH
    My daughter has said that she wants it "dark" so a stain is in order, and I guess it needs a bit of durability as well, because it will be going into her kitchen and will most likely be a landing place for car keys, bills,etc.
    Cheers Steven.
    The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenp View Post
    So.....what would you do?
    I would apply stain with a spraygun so it's nice and even, then spray on some Mirotone precat lacquer (have had very good results with this on pine).

Cheers,

Justin.

P.S nice work, great proportions especially on the frame & panel doors

G'day Justin,
    Nice bit of work there!
    sCorch is right on there...maybe some bits could be stained before assembly.
    If you have the Polishers' Handbook, there are some really good options in there......like tea stain or coffee stain, and the rest o the book is just the ducks' nuts on finishing.
    Sorry to be not much immediate help, but there's a way to go.

Default What's next?

Take off the back panel.

Use a pigmented stain, rather then a dye, pigmented stains are more for giving.

You first want to make up a complete "start to finish" sample on a piece of the same scape wood.

I sugesst on one sample you first seal the pine with a wash coat, then stain, allow to dry, and then apply clear coats.

If your use to working with Poly, then go with what you know.

PS - That looks like a very well made piece of furniture.
    Last edited by MacS; 26th October 2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added a PS.

Sounds like if you are nervous about it, but do "stain and poly" well then that'll serve your needs fairly well so far as colour, ease, and durability.

If you're going to build such nice pieces in the future though, picking up a book on finishing isn't a bad idea - lots of examples always help you know what you're aiming for.

I haven't used much stain, so unfortunately I can't offer any more advise than the others already have.

Best of luck
    Yes - I'm a lawyer.
    No - I won't bill you for reading this.