Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default undercoat for plaster walls

What would be the best kind of undercoat for plastered internal walls. The walls are brick covered in a grey cement float with a thin layer of plaster on top. I want something that will seal the plaster, provide some strength, and give a good bonding surface for the topcoat.

Off to the paint shop you go. read the can, ask the man. There are several good quality undercoats and some will go straight on to plaster as an undercoat/filler. but don't buy cheap. Get good paint.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

About to start painting the last roomof our renovation - it has just been plastered. Did the rest of the extension - see other posts - with Bristol undercoat. They sell a sealer/undercoat which did a good job on the new rooms - reasonably thick, covered well with a roller, and the two top coats went on very well.

A tip though - wash your plaster down well first, and use the best sealer undercoat you can, as the base coat makes a huge difference to the top coats and in maintaining the quality and durability of the finish. As suggested, read the can and talk to the man. I do wish I had used Solver paints though, they are a real pleasure to paint with and the quality is excellent!

Side Note: google Australian Standards for painting plaster! I did a few months ago and was shocked. The highest standard says that every coat should be sanded and washed, and from memory they say 4 coats of paint should be applied! I wonder how many pro painters wash and sand between coats, let alone apply 4 coats?

Jeff
    Life is just a leap of faith
    Spread your arms and hold your breath
    And always trust your cape

hehe (interesting) well I am fussy about my finishes, paintmarks, tiny, microscopic bumps so I pretty much lightly sanded between each of my paint finishes. Being a perfectionist is annoying but occasionly pays off.

Just had the granny flat plasterboarded and used accent Interior/Exterior Multi Prep Acrylic for the undercoat as guided to by the paint man.

I don't know if you are talking about the same plaster - plaster is plaster yeah? Well I couldn't clean the plasterboard, because the damp cloths seemed to rub into the plaster and wreck it. So I just used a dry cloth to remove all the dust etc.

Our plasterer wasn't the most reliable, no courtousy calls for non-appearances as he continually promised - took 3 months longer to do the job then quoted. In the end he pretty much avoided us, so I didn't get the chance to ask him what the best prep etc was for it.

You can't use an acrylic sealer on hard plaster,or you will find the paint will peel off.You need to use a seler / binder,which is oil based.

Tools

I used Taubmans 3 in 1 to undercoat the plasterboard at home. It finised off OK and I will use it again on the next job.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tools View Post
    You can't use an acrylic sealer on hard plaster,or you will find the paint will peel off.You need to use a seler / binder,which is oil based.

Tools
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you referring to plasterboard?

I have used the Dulux sealer, worked well, can't remember the exact name, but the can was pink. It's main purpose is to give a bonding surface and to seal. Also good as an undercoat on patch work, saves having dull spots in teh paint wear it soaked in.

Quote Originally Posted by makka619 View Post
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you referring to plasterboard?
    Makka,don't panic!! I am referring to solid plaster on brickwalls which is what Dexx said he has.For plasterboard you need to use an acrylic sealer.

Tools

Having said that, I am assuming that the walls are new.If they are already painted (and presumably seled with an oil paint) then acrylic is ok.