Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Is shop safety required?

This being the 15th of April and a cast that has been on my leg since the 12 January 2008 comes off tomorrow. My story!

This piece was written by me the 24 of March 2008

SAFETY: Safety means different things to different people but the bottom line is “safety is the prevention of accidents” and the procedure one follows if an accident occurs. If I start to list all safety rules we would require a large notebook and a week to read them. I have a motto “check twice / think twice” before operating a tool in your shop or planning projects. We all become complacent hence the saying “familiarity breeds contempt”.

To show how normal workshop habits can become a potential hazard I will give a personal experience as an example.

On January 12 2008 I decided to change the light in the shop that had burned out a week ago (not enough light for working, a potential hazard) so I got out my trusty step ladder (a folding portable work mate bench) and proceeded to unfold and lock the two sidebars in place. This is something I have done so many times before.

The table being 28” tall and a cross membrane to step on this seemed perfect, for changing lights, so I thought. I had successfully done this many times before so where is the problem. I got out my new light and up I stepped. As I got one side of the bulb loose I turned to move to the other side, which was a piece of cake, I’m there. When I went to turn back to get a good view of the light my foot stepped on the outer edge of the bench (not a problem any other time) but I had not fully locked the bar on one side and the bench folded out from under me. This caused me to slip off and fall the 28”. I landed on my right heel and fractured the calcaneus. (Large heel bone)

This being March 24, 2008 and a operation, four screws, foot fusion, and a potential six months laid up I have had time to think about how a simple common practice can turn into an accident. I am not in the position to preach so the best I can say on shop safety is “think twice / check twice”.

I hope all your wood working projects are mishap free and a reminder to be wary and wise!

I am hoping to be able to get back in my shop very soon.

Have a great day!
    John
    Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better,
    But will make what I am looking at better.

Hi John,
    a good story there.
    It's easy to become complacent, more so it seems, in a familiar place like your own workshop at home.
    Safety is often drummed into us at work, but once at home in the "comfort" of your own place, it's easy to lapse.

PS, I wish you a speedy and full recovery
    Last edited by Ironwood; 16th April 2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: PS

John,

In this recent post I posted the following:

Top 5 tools/events resulting visiting an emergency care facility are
    Grinders, lawnmowers, ladders, motor vehicle maintenance and welders.
    Top 5 for hospital admissions
    Ladders, lawnmowers, power saws, circular saws and motor vehicle maintenance
    Top 5 for death
    Electrical Maintenance, Ladders, Tractors, backhoes and Trees

Combined with your series of events I think we have it covered

Cheers
    Bob

Bob

You are so right!
    I forgot to listen myself. Dumb YES .... Preventable YES .... I look at all the close calls I have had over the years but managed to walk away unscathed.

The board that jumped while cutting, the knife that slipped, etc I am sure we all have had them "the lucky, almost, glad I did not do that" moments.

Hopefully I have learned a lesson for my second 60.
    Thanks for the reply!

I am going to get my cast off in 1 hour. I can't believe it.
    John

So how's the leg without the cast, John? What? no answer? John must be back in his shed already

Cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Check twice! View Post
    Bob
    I am going to get my cast off in 1 hour. I can't believe it.
    John
    How's the itchyness?

Wendy
    Got back from the hospital about 2 hour ago.... NO CAST They have give me a "boot" removable cast, but the good thing with in the next couple of days I will be "making sawdust".

This boot looks like a snowboarders boot that goes to the knee, .....now you know that is not going to last.

I have 30 more days before I can get a clean bill of health to return to work, Sooooooo, I'm going to the shop.

I did look in the shop...it's ok I just peeked.

Thanks for asking, have a great day and a better tomorrow!
    John

John, take it easy and happy woodworking. Bob

So,,,did someone finish the job of changing the lightbulb?

Make yourself a boot cover or you willhave it full of sawdust.

Be carefull

donna

BobL
    Just great as he scratches his leg. The old foot never looked great but man I got to do something with the cracked skin, Even the darn callous's I earned from honest work have gone... what three months can do.

Yes the flaky skin sure does itch, as he scratches even harder.
    This boot thing can come off when sitting I only need it to support my heel when I walk, at least I can walk.

Thanks for asking, have a great day and a better tomorrow
    John

Donna

That is one of my first jobs, ..... on my new 3 step stool . I have learned so much over the last 3 months of sitting and studying the wonderful world of wood work forums. I have found a wealth of knowledge and a ton of great people. As my better half says "things happen for a reason". Guess this was to be.

Myself I believe it happened because I forgot to "check twice"

Thanks for asking,have a great day and a better tomorrow!
    John