Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Guttering help

Default Guttering help

Hi All,

I designing the roof which will cover part of my deck and am not sure how best to cater for the gutters.
    The roof will attatch to the house with Joist hangers just under the house guttering on the Facia. The rafters from this go out 1500mm to the beams with a 300mm overhang and will be glad with laserlite or similar.

Would I be best to connect the guttering directly to the rafter ends, or attach some sort of facia to the ends of teh rafters first?

What is the best type of guttering to use, as far as cost ease of use, lifespan and where best to get it?

Also how much over the guttering should I have the laserlite hang?

Thanks,

Cheapest is Colourbond, the plastic stuff is ok it doesn't rust, but the sun makes it brittle and eventually turns it to powder and it's a serious liability in a bush fire. Mind you with a plastic roof thats the least of your worries.

The over hang will depend on the degree of pitch, the flatter the roof the more you will need, if there is a formula i don't know of one

Do allow enough room to get the leaves etc out. It looks much better if you add a facia behind the gutter but fixing to the ends of the rafters works too.

It's not an exact science, some councils now approve buildings without guttering.

Cheers

Dave

Default Danger, Danger!

Quote Originally Posted by russall View Post
    ...............The roof will attatch to the house with Joist hangers just under the house guttering on the Facia.................
    The fascia is not designed to carry an extra load. It is there as a trim item and to hang the gutters off. If you connect a roof to it you may find that the roof will pull your fascia away from the house, or in strong winds both your new roof and the fascia will be torn away.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

That's correct. Your best bet is to reinforce your rafter to fascia connection with these (on the inside that is) - http://www.pryda.com.au/catalog.php?...Fixes&conn=UFB

As far as the guttering goes have you thought of sloping the roof so the rain water runs into the existing house gutter (where your new roof will be attached )?

Overhang? Dependent on pitch but about 30mm.

Match the guttering to what you have already. Zinc or Colorbond? Matter of price or willingness to paint. I like Zincalume because I can change the color of my house as I please. (Note - My In-Laws are painters so we more often than not change color schemes).

And don't forget the proper self expansion hole drilling screws and noise reduction tape for the laserlite / polycarb.......or you'll be sorry and we certainly don't need to another thread on "Why my Laserlite won't stop squeeking and making noise"

Cheers,
    Doc.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

just as a radical idea, I'll tell you what I'm doing at my place. my rafters are cantilevered so no posts, but I'm going to get some white colourbond folded into a V, though I should say more like a tick (cant find one of them on the keyboard), so the long arm of the tick will go right under the laserlite and down the end of the rafters, just passing the underside cladding, then at a 45o angle another 100mm of fold to complete the tick shape and to carry the water away.

The idea is to essentially not be able to see a gutter, but not get dripped on

Thanks for the replies, I appiriciate all comments.

The Fascia is in good nic, and I have the Pryda connectors attached to the inside rafters already and I plan to bolt every other Joist hanger through the Fascia as it is a little thin for nails.

I had thought of using the existing guttering, but the colourbond over hang on that is way more than 50% the width of the gutter and is a real hassle to maintain as far removing leaves ect...

I've read all of the thread on keeping Laserlite quiet. Wouldn't dare add to that thead count...

Hey, PharmaBoy, I'd be interested in seing pics of your design once you are done, sounds interesting.

Cheers

mate. dont bolt directly onto the facia ......fix the joist hangers under it and into the wall ...if the bearer looks like its going to hit the bottom of the facia ( depending on what size joist hangers your using, just cut a notch out of the top to compensate for it .....as previously mentioned facia alone will NOT support a roof without causing considerable damage

Unfortunatly there is a 500mm eve, so taking the joist hangers to the wall under is not really and option. My house is basically a flat roofed shoe box design.

I'm guessing the main issue with connecting to the Fascia is more potential Lift from strong winds rather than the weight, as 1.5M of Pine and Laserlite can't weigh too much. Plus the other end of the rafters will be attached securly to a 170x75 Hardwood bearer.