Default mounting mirror to melamine

Hi All

Does anyone have opinions on the best way to mount a mirror to melamine? The bathroom is nearly finished and just needs the mirrors stuck to the wall cupboard doors. I am concerned that the mirror mounting tape wont handle the constant movement of the doors but have also heard that sticking the mirror on with silicone can affect the reflective coating over time. I dont want any of the 1000x350 mirrors to part company with the doors, especially in the bathroom.

Suggestions or experiences please!

Cheers
    Ben
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I stuck some mirrors up with the tape amd a few dobs of silicone about 1 year ago. No problems yet. If you like ask me in 20 years time and I'll let you know how there going. Mine are on the inside of builtin wardrobe doors in the kids room so they cop a bashing at times.

There is a liquid nails designed for this, still use the tape to hold it while it dries.

Silicon can be acid (acetic acid) cured or neutral (no acid) cured. I would suspect that acid cured silicon would eat the reflective metal coating on mirrors.

Ben, you could use some screw on mirror clips as well as the d/s tape for peace of mind.

Available at the hardware store or maybe a glazier.

Cheers..............Sean, reflected wisdom

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I watched some Pro glazier's fit a mirror 2400 high x 700 wide to a plaster wall.
    They brought the mirror inside and layed it face down on the floor, right where it was to go.
    Then they applied a glue called 'AV 56' made by Syntec with a paint roller, which is the same glue used for knocking up melamine cabinets ( porous to non-porous surface adhesive).
    Once the back was coated, they flipped it up and 'whack!' against the wall. Suction hold's it in place, and away they went.
    I believe silicone does affect the mirror, when ours gets steam condensation on it, you can see where the blobs of silicone where put on the back.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

The glazier I use just says use neutral cure silicone and it works great. Liquid nails glass & mirror does the trick and the instructions are good. Other neutral cure tubes are acceptable.

I usually stick the mirrors on the doors and leave them flat for two days before hanging. No need for tape and support. Leaving the hinges off makes it a lot easier to get an even contact to the melamine.

The newer Pilkington "green" mirrors are much more resistant to chemicals and blackening.

Thanks everyone. I havent seen the Liquid nails Glass and Mirror (havent looked) but will keep an eye out for it. Mirror clips are out, SWMBO wants nice flush fitting mirrors with concealed handles.

Cheers
    Ben
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I can also vouch for neutral cure silicon. I put a mirror up about 3 years ago and it looks exactly the same now as it did then. I put a about 8 blobs on a mirror that was about 1200x700, pressed it up against the wall and simply held it against the wall with a few bits of timber to support the bottom. Too easy. The silicon goes off after about 5 or 10 mins.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Thumbs down

[<TABLE class=tborder id=post240438 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_240438>Everyone has a kitchen but would you know the first thing about designing one? Visit my site now for kitchen design information or buy a kitchen cabinet online!
    <!-- / sig --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2> </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    surely this site should be fully functional by now ,it irks me that people blatently advertise sites that have no function to help with the question posed on this forum
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Hi Tom,

***** OFF TOPIC *****

surely this site should be fully functional by now ,
    Yes, the site is functional as it gives people information about kitchen topics (albeit limited information) and the the shopping cart is not finished as I do not have enough time in the day at this point. The site was put up in that state so as to get indexed by Google and increase my rankings in the search engine results pages.

By the way, how long did it take for you to design your website? In your opinion, and given the complexities of ecommerce and website design, how long do you think I should take to finish my site?

My site was put up just under 4 months ago. As it is the first website I have built, I am learning and things take time! Also, as you would be well aware, in the kitchen game the final three months to Christmas is absolute chaos as everybody is clamouring to get their kitchens installed before Christmas day. Thankfully after the madness has ceased, I will have some time in the new year to work on the site.

it irks me that people blatently advertise sites that have no function to help with the question posed on this forum
    What are you trying to say here?!!! Are you referring to my signature tag? What's your point? Does not your signature tag 'blatently (sic) advertise' your website as well? I can put whatever I want (within forum guidelines) in my signature and it surely does not have to function to help with any question posed on this forum!

Just for the record, the topic started by Wildman was 'mounting mirror to melamine'. Hmmmm, my site DOES have a function to help with his question!