Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stringybark

Default Stringybark

I have a project done in stringybark and it's ready for finishing,any tips on what would give a nice result. It is an indoor piece.
    I only ever worked with pine mostly and have been opened up to world of different finishes since joining this forum. Its great

Quote Originally Posted by GRS
    I have a project done in stringybark and it's ready for finishing,any tips on what would give a nice result. It is an indoor piece.
    I only ever worked with pine mostly and have been opened up to world of different finishes since joining this forum. Its great
    I don't think I have ever seen anything made from stringybark. Can you post a picture? What is it like to work with?

Is this the one you have used?

Blue Leaved Stringybark (Eucalyptus agglomerata), grows naturally on the central and southern coast and tablelands of NSW. There are only limited quantities growing in plantations. Stringybark's heartwood is durable, making it potentially a very versatile structural timber.

It only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Most stringy from around here is light in colour, like Tass oak,/Vic Ash ( same stuff, only Tass Oak costs more.)

Stringy usually has sap lines, which can look good, depends on the application, not a dense euc' and finishes well with most stuff.
    These are my observations from what Ive seen.

Cheers, Al

The timber was from a friend who used the stringybark as his flooring in his home. I did notice that it is very similar to Tassie Oak in colour but also has more dark grainy lines and is much heavier being a hardwood I guess. Another guy said it is the same as blackbutt, I know it leaves your hands black when working with it and you need a good scrubbing to remove the stain.
    I tried an offcut with shellack and it comes up a nice golden colour like oak.
    heres a pic of the front piece (only one I have at the moment) which doesn't show the dark pieces I will get a pic of the top ASAP and post it here.

Thanks for your input

Gary

stringybark ( eucaliptus obliqua ) aka mesmate aka tasmanian oak.

one of the types of timber sold as tasy oak.

one of my books calls it one of australia's most important commercial timbers.

there's even a song about it. if you listen to macka on a sunday morning you will hear it sooner or later.

I've recently cut down some standing dead ones & regret not citting it in longer bits.
    I've put it thru the band saw & it is great stuff.
    probably a bit harder & closer grained than the stuff comming out of tasy or vic which will be a different spicies, probably mountain ash (eucaliptus regnans )

excuse the fancy stuff, just hapend to have the book open.

Messmate stringybark is not a true stringybark.
    But with a few exceptions most of the stringybarks and messmate are similar looking timbers.
    It is incorrect to call Messmate Tas Oak. Messmate is only one of the main species called tassy oak. Tassy oak also includes minor species which give Tas Oak color variations that do not occur in messmate or ash.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

OK, got a better photo of the grain and colour in this timber,Iv'e heard what has been said that it is sometimes Vic Ash or Tassie Oak but this timber is three times the weight of Tassie Oak and is harder to cut drill plane etc.

Nice bit of timber.
    Cheers
    Barry

G'day.

Up here in NQ & FNQ we get red stringy, yellow stringy & white stringy.
    The red is the most common. I have not idea what the techo name(s) is(are).
    It grows mostly just on the western (dry) side of the range.
    Mostly used for sleepers, yard building, verandahs, pergolas & firewood.
    Our cubby in the hills has 198 sqr meters of bull nose verandah &
    the roof frame looks like it has been cut from red stringy.
    There are a few blokes making HEAVY duty outdoor furniture out of it.
    It doesn't look like the pics above. (well, maybe its a bit like white stringy)
    The red has lots of gum inclusions & looks a bit like red gum but uglier.
    We pay $90 a ute load for it split for fire wood.
    It has an odd grain, end on, it will split very easily with the growth rings but
    the axe just bounces off it at 90 degrees to the growth rings.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

We pay $90 a ute load for it split for fire wood
    Cliff,

You live in Cairns....you don't need firewood....Remember??

P

yeah...you got a point there bitingmidge, why on earth would someone from cairns need firewood? I lived up in townsville for a short while, and I didn't even think about the need for more heat. And your getting ripped off at 90, we pay 70, but I have no idea what sort of wood it is. To me, aslong at it keeps me warm, and burns well then I'm happy. I woke up the other morning and it was 3.4 degrees celcius! And that's cold for my standard.

G'day.

I live in Cairns 4 nights a week & on the Tablelands 3 nights a week.
    My wife lives on the Tablelands all the time.
    Our house on the Tablelands is 865M above sea level. (about 2600ft old money)
    It was 5 last Thursday night, 7 Sunday night & 9 Monday night.
    It's HEAPS better than Cairns in the summer time.

The $90 a ute is delivered, the guy lives more than a half hour away.
    If I go & get it , it's $70 a ute load.
    I reckon the extra $20 is worth it 'cos it would take up nearly 3 hours of my weekend to drive there, load it, drive back & unload it.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

well...i stand corrected, you do need firewood. And lots of it, keep it burning mate, keep it burning.

Well guy's apart from burning the stuff has anyone got any ideas on a finish that won't result in a pile of ash. Not that I want to get in the way of a good firewood discussion. I get my firewood through pipes running off the gas main!! I see in another thread that a clear shellac is available which doesn't change the natural timber has anyone used it on stringybark. By the way I'm told this was yellow stringybark gum.

G'day.

I like a setting oil finish, like Rustin's or Penetrol.

They take a while to get to fully set though, anything up to a month.
    Cliff.