Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Miritone advice

Default Miritone advice

Hi all. I have a piece of furniture that had water based one part clear applied over a stain. I want to apply a 2 part miritone to the furniture. Obviously it will be rather difficult to sand the water based clear entirely off as it could ruin the stain. After a sand, can I apply the mirritone, sanding sealer and top coat to the water based coating? I am of the opinion that the miritone will affect the water based finish and maybe blister etc. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I have spoken to miritone reps but they cannot give me an answer. Thanks, John.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

have you goit any of the water based clear finish, if so paint a scrap and try it out
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

as a rule of thumb most times one pak can go over a 2 pak but not a 2 pak over a 1 pak .
    thats back when i was in the floor sanding trade however things have changed a lot in the last 20 years .so ?????????????
    most of the 1 paks back then were turps based and would go over most things , but the 2 paks which are thinned with thinners are a lot fussier and would show rejection if they were not happy with what was under them ie wax or oil .and yes they would melt a turps based product.
    water based stuff i have no expierence with at all , but i should think it would be in the softer fininsh end of the scale and would crinkle if you applied a finish over it that contained thinners or acetone .
    but yep can you do a little test patch some where that cant be seen.

Hey guys thanks for your help. I guess I will just buy some miritone and try it on an unseen bit.

What would be the thoughts on using a thinners based one part clear over the top of the exisiting one part water based clear. Thanks for your advice.