Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Gutters look like they're falling off?

I've recently had my gutters replaced, and unfortunately was naive enough to pay someone to do it and accept their "spoken warranty". Needless to say the moment I handed over the money he promptly disappeared and didn't answer my phone calls...

Anyway, when he hung the gutters up, they looked a little strange to me in that they looked as if they were hanging off the house, unlike my old gutters which sat against the house. I questioned this and he showed me the bracket and assured me that the gutters were fine and were not going to fall off, and that they were hung correctly. Silly me, I believed him.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I'm not sure if it's just me, but they look almost as if they are hanging further from the house now than they were then. Are they falling off?

Here are some photos:

Here's the bracket:

Here's how they seem to fit on the gutter:

Here's the gutter:

The other two gutters that were done don't look as extreme although I suspect this is because the downpipe is holding the gutter up. In the case of this front gutter, because of the leaf beater there is no support for the downpipe.

Looking at the bracket, I can't see how the gutter could hang off the house like that unless the bracket is loose, or it has bent? What are the two tab-like things that stick out on the top of the bracket? Should I be concerned? I don't currently have a ladder tall enough to get up there to have a look.

Tradespeople who do shoddy work and then run away should be shot. Next time I'm insisting on a written warranty, even if it costs me more money...

Those tabs thar are poking up should have been folde down inside the gutter. The purpose of these are to hold the back of the gutter flat against the fascia board and to hold the back of the gutter down and in contact with the bottom lip. Once these are rectified the gutter should sit square and upright. The fellow was not a tradesman and probable not cluey enough to figure out his mistake.

Cool, thanks for that. I'll try to borrow a ladder sometime and go up there with a hammer or something and bend the tabs in, and hopefully that will fix the problem...

Can I ask what peoples opinions were on these internal brackets? I used them them for an extension and whilst being a pain to work with (as opposed to the external spikes) it does look good I thought. Now going to replace existing gutter (which is fixed with spikes) and am wondering switch to the inetrnal clips or reuse (replace in some instances) the spikes. Curious as to peoples opinions on the attachment methods. TIA

Well, I hired an extension ladder and had a look up there, and the tabs ARE bent in, yet for some reason the gutters still hang like that. Maybe he didn't put in enough brackets or something, no idea

Oh well...

Hey demuire - I know the tabs are supposed to hold the back of the gutter flush with the fascia but what I did was in some places screw the top back edge of the guttering direct to the fascia. Pulled it back and I reckon added strength etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ptyltd View Post
    Can I ask what peoples opinions were on these internal brackets? I used them them for an extension and whilst being a pain to work with (as opposed to the external spikes) it does look good I thought. Now going to replace existing gutter (which is fixed with spikes) and am wondering switch to the inetrnal clips or reuse (replace in some instances) the spikes. Curious as to peoples opinions on the attachment methods. TIA
    Spikes seem to be a Queensland thing and are usually used on 150mm Quad gutter with high rainfall. In NSW 99.9% of gutters are fixed with internal brackets these days especially on squareline gutter. Also used on 100mm and 125mm Quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    Spikes seem to be a Queensland thing and are usually used on 150mm Quad gutter with high rainfall. In NSW 99.9% of gutters are fixed with internal brackets these days especially on squareline gutter. Also used on 100mm and 125mm Quad.

Definitely not a North Qld thing, only seen a few older places with them. Most of the places built in the last 30 years or so have the rectangular "fascialine" guttering which has greater capacity than the Quad.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    Definitely not a North Qld thing, only seen a few older places with them. Most of the places built in the last 30 years or so have the rectangular "fascialine" guttering which has greater capacity than the Quad.

Mick
    Mick

The reason I say that is that when I was with Lysaght, Queensland was the only state that was keeping gutter spikes in stock and they were only used on 150mm Quad because of the weight of the water in the gutter and a normal quad gutter bracket didn't have the strength to hold it up..

Like you say most people today use fascialine gutter.

I used something very similar to the bracket pictured above. I used it with Stratco 115mm low front quad but I bought them from Bunnings. Stratco had something similar but was lighter material and didn't fit as well as the ones I used.
    The rolled end fitted into the lip of the quad unlike the picture of the gutter and bracket assy pictured.
    Mine worked well and I would recommend them but make sure they fit perfectly.
    Cheers

Alan M

My Daughter's food blog www.spicyicecream.com.au