Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Spice rack

Default Spice rack

Hi,

I have a spice rack which has been painted white.
    I want to change it to a wood stained appearance.
    Is there a product available that will do this without me having to rub back all the white paint? (It is pine under the paint) I don't want to use paint stripper if possible.

Thanks for any help

would almost be easier to make a new one from scratch wouldn't it?
    Join a mens shed, even if you can't use some of the tools, they have beginners days where members will cut it for you?

Fly's advice is perfectly sound, but if I can offer a different perspective, a quick question is (a) is it an old one, that is antique or (b) newish and just painted. What I am saying is if old then it is probably made from baltic or at a pinch kauri, whereas if newish than most likely radiata.

If old then I would suggest if you have it and wan't it too look like wood, then stripping back is the best option, fake wood paints used to be around in the '70s though always looked rubbish, no idea if still available. On the other hand if it is a newish one and made from radiata, then if it were me, I wouldn't bother stripping back and perhaps just paint in another colour which pleases you.

I had this spice rack made by my builder for me, using new baltic pine flooring, to which I have since added some old baltic pine lining boards at the rear, and thereafter coated with shellac before finishing off with a coat of Feast Watson floor seal (basically Tung oil and poly mix). I don't have a photo of the finished article and I am yet to re-install it in what will be the pantry, as I still have a a few jobs to finish off in that area of the kitchen.

Yes, building a new one will be less work than stripping the old one. A spice rack is a great beginner woodworking project and your existing spice rack can serve as plans and template.

You'd probably spend more on paint stripper than you would on new wood! You could sand it back but you'd be best to disassemble first and put it back together afterwards, so you'd be doing a lot of the building work anyway.
    Good things come to those who wait, and sail right past those who don't reach out and grab them.

Yeah, thanks. Ended up the wife didn't like the style so we chucked it.

Thanks for help.
    She wants a spunky metal one! And no, I didn't argue with her

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecroft88 View Post
    Fly's advice is perfectly sound, but if I can offer a different perspective, a quick question is (a) is it an old one, that is antique or (b) newish and just painted. What I am saying is if old then it is probably made from baltic or at a pinch kauri, whereas if newish than most likely radiata.

If old then I would suggest if you have it and wan't it too look like wood, then stripping back is the best option, fake wood paints used to be around in the '70s though always looked rubbish, no idea if still available. On the other hand if it is a newish one and made from radiata, then if it were me, I wouldn't bother stripping back and perhaps just paint in another colour which pleases you.

I had this spice rack made by my builder for me, using new baltic pine flooring, to which I have since added some old baltic pine lining boards at the rear, and thereafter coated with shellac before finishing off with a coat of Feast Watson floor seal (basically Tung oil and poly mix). I don't have a photo of the finished article and I am yet to re-install it in what will be the pantry, as I still have a a few jobs to finish off in that area of the kitchen.