Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default electrical - is this legal?

Just wondering if the following procedure is legal:

Often when fitting kitchen cabinets I come across power points already mounted on the wall. I usually cut a 80mm x 55mm slot in the cupboard back, uncrew the power point from the wall and pass it through the slot. Once the cabinets is fitted I fix the power point in place. If the cabinet has a 4mm ply back then the screws go through and back into the original mounting plate. If the cabinet has a 16mm back then I screw it direct to it.

I've got a feeling it's probaly not kosher to do this, but I'm not touching the wiring connections and I'm careful not to twist it around too much. It's prety hard to get a sparky around here at the moment, even if you're a builder and it would be nigh impossible to get one out to disconnect and then back to reconnect a couple of power points.

Comments welcome.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Yup, totally unlegal to do. Australia's weird-ass wiring regs won't let you touch any fixed electrical outlet in any way, shape or form if you are not anointed by the high priests and have done your required years of indentured servitude.

I don't even think you are allowed to back off the screws a little so you can paint under the things when you are painting - you should paint around them!

That said, and this being Australia, what is legal and what is enforced are different matters!

Will this become another thread needing corn chips and a few refreshing beverages?

PS. Just make sure you turn the power off at the switch box, and double check that it is off by testing it with a power tool...

Not quite the same, but when I was installing kitchens, the sparky use to leave the PP hanging loose out of the wall as he knew they had to be fixed inside the cabinet. All PP were left connected and live so that we could use them if necessary.

We would cut a slot similar in size to what you said and just feed them through the back and whack a couple of screws in to fix it and then he would come back after we finished the job and put the PP covers on and sign off on the job.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

With light switches a sparky can pop the switch from the mounting plate to get it through an architrave, then click it back into the plate once it's through the hole.

A sparky might also take the following precautions;

1. Switch of all the power, not just the power/light circuit, whatever, just in case the Dodgy Brothers have hooked up a light to a power circuit, or vice versa.
    2. Remove the fuses, and lock the box so no one turns the power on whilst he's working on it
    3. Test that the power is off by plugging something in/ turning lights on.
    4. Wear rubber soled shoes, and stand on milk crates, or use a fibreglass rather than a metal ladder.
    5. Use rubber/plastic handled screwdriver, preferably with an insulated shaft. Likewise with pliers, and wear rubber gloves.
    6. When bare wires are exposed, with the shaft of a screwdriver, and holding it by the handle, contact the active, neutral and earth to see if it sparks. (this one has saved me from a bolt before, and the screwdriver came out worse for the wear. He wouldn't use his tongue )
    7. Avoid touching the bare wires with anything but the jaws of the pliers, wherever possible.

Of course that's just what a sparky might do. But if you're silly enough to try it on yourself, then don't be so stupid as to go for a Darwin Award.

Did you bring the Corn Chips Master Splinter?

I'm hungry.

I've made a good start on the chips....and even an apple cider or two!

I've got a little orange non contact tester that gets used as my last minute check - sweep it over a known live outlet to confirm that its working, then sweep it over the 'off' one to see if it really is off.

"6. When bare wires are exposed, with the shaft of a screwdriver, and holding it by the handle, contact the active, neutral and earth to see if it sparks."

jeesus - must be the poorest sparky in the southern hemisphere if he cant afford a voltage detector - a whole $25 to put in the top pocket! Useful to check whether points are on which circuit etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    I've made a good start on the chips....and even an apple cider or two!
    Me too.

I don't know why the further responses as Mick is only trolling.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    jeesus - must be the poorest sparky in the southern hemisphere if he cant afford a voltage detector - a whole $25 to put in the top pocket! Useful to check whether points are on which circuit etc.
    Well I'm a bit of a tight @rse and I never said I was a sparky.
    I might be an idiot, but I'm not so stupid as to go for a Darwin Award. My screwdriver saved me from that.

Exclamation Qualification

I might just qualify my last statement;

As a builder I may need to disconnect a few power points or lights before commencing a demolition, and I may leave a taped up power point nailed to a stud for temporary use, but I'd never hand over a job to a client until a sparky had performed any necessary wiring and signed off on it.
    Of course I should get a sparky in to disconnect everything before I start, but if I'm just shifting a wall that has a power point in it, then allowing for a sparky to come out twice instead of once would probably mean that I'd miss out on getting the job to some cowboy who might do everything himself, including his own attempt at reinstalling a relocated power point.

The time that my screwdriver saved me wasn't that long ago, and it was on my own house. I wanted to relocate my water heater outside to give me a bit more floor space inside. I went to the fuse box and removed the fuse marked HWS (Hot Water Service). I disconnected the wires from the HWS and tested it with my screwdriver and BANG. It left a big hole in the side of my screwdriver, but fortunately the only harm to me was a bit of a fright. I then turned off all the power, cut the end off the cable, and taped it up before turning the power back on. It's quite an old house, and I've got no idea who did the original wiring, but someone had incorrectly labeled a fuse as HWS when it obviously wasn't.
    After shifting the HWS and connecting the plumbing (No I'm not a plumber either, but don't start on me. It's done properly, and I've got a mate who would be happy to inspect it and sign off on it if necessary), I called a sparky mate to reconnect the wiring and correctly label the fuses in the meter box.

There's no way that I'd advocate anyone touching their own wiring, especially if they don't know what they're doing.

Call a sparky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    Me too.

I don't know why the further responses as Mick is only trolling.

Peter.
    No I'm not I really wanted to know whether what I do is legal. (As per the title)

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

Intersting comments...
    Me being an electrician... it made intersting reading
    Here is something to think about "A good electrician is a alive one"

Quote Originally Posted by _Richard View Post
    Intersting comments...
    Me being an electrician... it made intersting reading
    Here is something to think about "A good electrician is a alive one"
    I agree,
    just be bloody careful!!!!

Default Do I look, smell, sound or act like a troll?

I'm afraid that I just can't let the troll comment go. I've tried to ignore it but can't.

Peter,
    why do you think I'm trolling in this instance?
    Do my prior posts show a history of trolling or general stirring?
    Do you not believe that I make and install kitchens for a living?
    Did you think I merely asked the question in order to spark a long debate about electrical regulations in Australia?

I do in fact realise that it's illegal for anyone other than a licensed electrician or someone under their direct supervision to carry out work on fixed wiring in Australia. I asked the question becuase I was unsure whether removing and replacing the plate, without touching the wiring or the terminals constituted electrical work. Okay, so it seems that unscreweing the plate is seen as electrical work but I had to ask. Where does the line get drawn?

For instance, let's say I was demolishing a wall with a light switch in it and wasn't expecting a sparky to be onsite for a while. Let's say I turned the power off and cut away a section of plaster around the switch and then demolished the wall. Then I made a ply box which fitted around the back of the plaster section and secured it to the ceiling before activating the circuit again. Is that deemed as electrical work?

I ask these questions because they are real life scenarios, not because I'm trying to cause a stir. I believe I've got enough nouse to do these things in a manner which doesn't endanger anyone. They may not be legal but sometimes these things are done because of the imperfect situations we find ourselves in. However I'd like to satisfy my curiousity about the legality of these practices without being accused of trolling.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

It's not a troll, lets move on. I reckon Mick's word is more than good enough.

As for the question, I reckon it is interesting because anyone who has painted a house or a room has probably removed the powerpoint (PP) and put a plastic bag over it while painting. Is that illegal - yes, should it be?

When the PP is pushed back into the wall void there is the possibility that older wires will flex and break, possibly coming free AFTER the PP is screwed back to the wall. My home is 15yo and a recent reno disturbed a number of PPs. On one of them, the wires broke a number of times (about 3 times IIRC) and I was concerned I would have to rewire the entire run.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    It's not a troll, lets move on. I reckon Mick's word is more than good enough.
    Now if it were my thread, then it may be a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Is that illegal - yes, should it be?
    Well that makes me a naughty boy on the job, as well as on these forums sometimes.

I can see the reasoning after your example Greg, and I suppose it makes sense.
    Accidents can happen, even to professional electricians, but if something went wrong in Mick's case, or in my own, then we'd be in a lot of hot water.