Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pc help please !!!

hey all...

i need to remove the instalation of some programs... in other words, when say i download a program it would download to the desktop, i can then doubleclick on this icon or go to the install to start the instalation process...say when i uninstall (via add/remove) a program the setup for this program is still on the pc...take my printer software, it ain't working properly, so i uninstalled it and then reinstalled it, still no good and now i have 2 install programs, so what i want to do is remove the install programs and everything else associated with it, and then do a clean install of the printer software...how can i do this, from the regedit ?, did his once before for something i can't remember now...i know my way around the inside of my windows 98 quite well if someone has some input...

many thanks...la H
    Hurry, slowly

I don't see how you end up with 2 install programs just be re-installing the software. Install programs you download to the desktop aren't doing anything unless you start them. I have a downloads directory wher all the setup downloads are kept. If you remove the program by either it's own uninstall feature of via add/remove programs, it should be mostly gone. You could check the registry for left over bits if you like. But the initial setup file won't be romved by this method. If you want to delete that, just right click on it, hit delete and then empty the recycle bin.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

that I hey...

can i also remove these install icons from the desktop with programs that i do use, just so i can tidy up the desktop, it won't have any effect on the installed program ?...eg. i have firefox and the install program icon is on the deskop, i can safely remove this ?

la H
    Hurry, slowly

Quote Originally Posted by la Huerta
    that I hey...

can i also remove these install icons from the desktop with programs that i do use, just so i can tidy up the desktop, it won't have any effect on the installed program ?...eg. i have firefox and the install program icon is on the deskop, i can safely remove this ?

la H
    Yes, no problems. They have no effect on the program once it's installed. You could do as I do (I use Firefox as well) and put them in a separate folder and name it 'Set Up Programs' or just burn them to a CD if you need to conserve hard drive space. I keep them so that if I have to reinstall, I don't have to go looking for them again. It's also handy to rename them as well. It's no good having a lot of them called 'Setup.exe' Renaming them won't affect their performance either. (e.g call the prinetr one "Printer setup.exe")
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Be wary if you play with regedit, make sure it's backed up before you do. Also if you set a restore point before installing new software you can go back if it causes problems.
    There is so much crap that gets onto your computer over time that sometimes it's just good to reload and start again, just dont do it too often or else you finish up in a discussion with Microsoft to get the numbers to reinstate your legal XP installation.

Sorry didnt read the Windows 98 reference. No trouble reinstalling the operating system any number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by bennylaird
    Be wary if you play with regedit, make sure it's backed up before you do. Also if you set a restore point before installing new software you can go back if it causes problems.
    There is so much crap that gets onto your computer over time that sometimes it's just good to reload and start again, just dont do it too often or else you finish up in a discussion with Microsoft to get the numbers to reinstate your legal XP installation.

Sorry didnt read the Windows 98 reference. No trouble reinstalling the operating system any number of times.
    I think the bad old days of having to wipe the hard drive every 6 months and start agin are rapidly fading away. Since XP I hardly have to do anything. Maybe it's bigger drives, more memory, less crashing (haven't seen a blue screen of death for years) no kids mucking around on mine (they have their own) etc etc. I had to do a bit of old DOS work the other day :eek: Boy, did that bring back some memories.

i need another pc soon,this little laptop is getting so full and does'nt leave the desk, will use it just for taking on holidays for digi pics , and can't justify spending a grand or more on a new one, so i'll look around for a second hand desktop, was thinking of a mac???...
    Hurry, slowly

Yes you are right, have only had to reload mine a few times due to faulty memory chips and a strange virus I think.

Remember the old days when we were expert at fixing everything via Autoexec and config, could find all the probs and fix them.

System Mechanic et al seem to do well with a bit of tweaking as well these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    I think the bad old days of having to wipe the hard drive every 6 months and start agin are rapidly fading away. Since XP I hardly have to do anything. Maybe it's bigger drives, more memory, less crashing (haven't seen a blue screen of death for years) no kids mucking around on mine (they have their own) etc etc. I had to do a bit of old DOS work the other day :eek: Boy, did that bring back some memories.
    I can still bring a computer down to blue screen

I still want one of the BSOD tshirts
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Hmm that one seems a bit distorted, might have to manipulate it back to shape?

i just got distracted, where was i , looking for the tits, oh i mean drill bits!
    Hurry, slowly

Just priced them - $19.99 Australian, plus $11 postage.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by bennylaird
    Remember the old days when we were expert at fixing everything via Autoexec and config, could find all the probs and fix them. .
    OMG config.sys , autoexec.bat, how long is it since we had to get into those and tweak them

It's a bit like modern cars. Can't do a bloody thing with them but my old XW Falcon was easy to play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    OMG config.sys , autoexec.bat, how long is it since we had to get into those and tweak them

It's a bit like modern cars. Can't do a bloody thing with them but my old XW Falcon was easy to play around with.
    Welcome aboad fellow Luddite

Quote Originally Posted by stuart_lees
    Just priced them - $19.99 Australian, plus $11 postage.
    Is that for each or the pair ?